64gb touch soon?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rudyOne, Jan 10, 2009.

1. rudyOne macrumors newbie

So I am really eager to get a touch, but I'm hesitant because I could do alot more with 64 gigs. The first generation was upgraded from 16 to 32 after 5 months last February. Would it be too presumptuous to expect a similar boost to 64gb this February? In March? If not, when? I'm not waiting till September... I've heard 32gb NAND chips are in production, or soon will be...

Who can give me some insight?

Thanks!

2. qacjared macrumors regular

To say when is pure speculation. What we can say is yes it will happen simply because Flash Prices will continue to come down to the point that a 64 GB or 128 GB Touch is possible. The one thing you should remember is that the Touch uses TWO NAND flash chips and the iPhone uses one. The touch has more room inside that isn't used for cell radios and bluetooth and that's why it has twice the memory. So when ever apple feels like making a 32GB iPhone using 1 32GB chip they will most likely mass order in order to use two to make a 64GB Touch.

That's what happened last February when apple felt that prices for 16GB chips and the timing was right.

3. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

I'd say so because it's kind of a given.
    You will most likely see it in February, the same month the iPod touch's capacity doubled last year.

4. rudyOne thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! If I don't hear of anything by Feb 10 or so, I'm going to have to pull the trigger and take the 32. . . As soon as I do that, they'll announce the upgrade, that's how I roll.

5. iParis macrumors 68040

iParis

Most likely.
    Er, I'd wait until at least the end of the month. I know it's going to be hard but it will be worth it to have twice the amount of space.

6. rudyOne thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I can wait. I meant I might buy the 32 if there was absolutely no indication or rumor of an imminent upgrade, but I can wait it out............
    Still waiting... Patiently.

7. xxbrankxx macrumors member

I'm also waiting for a larger iTouch as well. Hopefully a larger one will come really soon. I have an 80GB Video iPod already so I'm used to having a ton of music and movies with me but 32GB I think would be too limited and I'd have to really pick and choose what I want to make sure I have enough space for everything. The thing that really blew me away with the iTouch in general is the ability to check email and go online with it with the whole WiFi thing. I wanted to be able to check email and some websites while away from my computer and for me it's alot cheaper than having to buy a laptop and drag it around with you just to check email and a few sites.

8. kevzy macrumors member

I'm also waiting for a 64GB iPod touch. I think there's a good chance of it being released in February or early March given that it was updated to 32GB last Feb.

Also remember that for a few consecutive Tuesdays after Macworld 2008 Apple released a number of small updates. I can't remember all of them but they included a 2GB shuffle, a pink nano and the 32GB touch.

Here's hoping anyway.......