Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
I wanted to purchase a Sandisk Ultra Dual 64GB USB 3.0 (OTG) USB-stick and then I saw that they list system requirements: Mac OS X 10.6+

Does someone know something about using "big" usb 3 sticks on PowerPCs?

Maybe they just list it, because there is no USB3 on PowerPC Macs, but nevertheless the stick should run on an USB2 bus with the lower speed, right?
Then again, I think it is probably hit and miss and every brand/model might behave differently...

any ideas?

iModFrenzy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2015
Kamino
Sandisk usually has some software they include with their drives. Mine have something called "U3" that's included with them(some software). I believe that's why it says that(software requirements). You shouldn't have any problems using the drive.

GoopnyPants

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2016
Italy
I use a 2 tb usb 3.0 hard disk on my PowerMac G5 without problem. So that stick will definitely work well using the USB 2.0 bus.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
I use a 128gb Sandisk USB stick for "sneaker-net" between all of my machines. Even my Wallstreet can read it (as long as I format it on that machine first)....

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2016
Yeah, it's often just the (crappy) included software that won't work on older machines/operating systems. I always just format the drive first so that crap isn't taking up space. I really don't care much for the included encryption software, my sticks don't leave the house and are always well-hidden.

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
I use a 2 tb usb 3.0 hard disk on my PowerMac G5 without problem. So that stick will definitely work well using the USB 2.0 bus.
I had the impression though that flash storage and HDDs are different / behave differently and USB3 isn't the problem here, but the size and type of storage. Well in the end, it probably might just be that there can/will always be one controller (be it flash or HDD) that doesn't work on a certain other controller. But that one might just be the exception to all the others that worked.
[doublepost=1468251648][/doublepost]
I use a 128gb Sandisk USB stick ... Wallstreet ...
OK, that then completely heals my waryness towards big flash sticks on old machines.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
I had the impression though that flash storage and HDDs are different / behave differently and USB3 isn't the problem here, but the size and type of storage. Well in the end, it probably might just be that there can/will always be one controller (be it flash or HDD) that doesn't work on a certain other controller. But that one might just be the exception to all the others that worked.

USB is a standard protocol, so any modern operating system should be able to use a mass storage device like a flash drive, external hard drive, etc. USB 3.0 is established as being fully backwards compatible with USB 2.0 for file storage purposes. Granted, in some instances you may get into rare circumstances like not being able to boot off a USB 3.0 drive on a USB 2.0 computer. Provided the file system format is acceptable for your OS, any USB device should work.

sawpits

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2014
Last edited:

Cox Orange

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 1, 2010
This eBay item number: 251886021282 says works with OS X 10.5+ for any capacity stick.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...251886021282.TRS0&_nkw=+251886021282&_sacat=0

I am not the seller nor am I affiliated with the seller in any way.
The add on Ebay, that I was looking for mentioned 10.6. - I also looked at sandisk's website and they don't even mention any OS.
10.5 PPC or Intel? :p
Right! and I am going to use it under 10.4...

But since other people in this thread here use 128GB USB3 stick with old Macs I am confident to test it. I am just waiting for sunday, to see if Amazon wil drop the price again. I found a lower price at Ebay, but I'd prefer Amazon, so I will wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.