iPhone 11 Pro 64gb v 256gb 11 Pro Max - opinions

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
For those who have chosen the 64gb, how are you finding it in terms of storage? I went from 32gb iPhone 5 to 64gb iPhone 6 to 128gb iPhone xr and am considering the drop back down to 64gb for the pro max. I am considering it due to the cost as I have the 200gb icloud storage plan but just feel that I may come to regret it. My XR is currently using 70gb and I have 40gb in the cloud so the 200gb is more than enough, however I just feel that stepping back to 64gb is a mistake.

What am I missing? What have I not considered? Am I being short sighted by scrimping on the storage to save £6 per month?

Any advice appreciated.

PS: Apologies if there is already a thread/multiple threads on this, but I couldn't find them.

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
There are other threads on this topic for sure. Personally I went with 64GB because I’m all in the ecosystem and use iCloud storage for pretty much everything. It’s dirt cheap compared to buying hardware storage and can be used across all of my Apple devices. It’s a no brainer for me.

zehcnassurfero

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2019
64GB is more than enough if you use iCloud. Then if you usually take a lot of photos and videos in 4K, maybe yo have to buy the 256gb version, because you will need more storage to save while you upload on iCloud

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
Look at your current storage usage for guidance. Some apps/games utilize a lot of storage for the app itself as well as data it caches (there might be a lot cached locally even if you are using cloud storage).

iCloud Photo storage is pretty efficient if you tell it to maximize your phone's storage, but you might find that there is an annoying wait to download videos no longer stored on your device. Messages can really eat up storage if you share photos and videos with others via iMessage. I don't have auto-delete enabled for old conversations, but I do periodically review large message attachments even though I don't need to worry about storage (I have the 256 GB). I could probably get by with the 64 GB if I would just delete old apps I no longer use! ;)

Then again I shoot a fair amount of 4k video and I like keeping it cached locally as well as synced to the cloud. If you don't shoot a lot of 4K video, it's pretty easy to keep things below 64 GB in my opinion... unless you store a lot of music locally (I use the cloud for that as well).

I decided to go up to 256 mostly because I would have to spend some time managing my storage to keep below 64 GB, and I'd rather not worry about it unless the mood strikes me to clean house. It's too bad they don't start the Pro series off at 128 GB. Given the price of these devices, 128 GB of storage doesn't seem like so much to ask.

BigDO

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2012
If you paying monthly and the difference is 6 squid it’s really a no brainer.

Reactions: Mac2019

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
I seriously couldn't go back to the 64GB. No matter how much cloud storage I have. In the event I keep this device for a while longer than my upgrade cycle allows, I don't want to worry about space. I came from a 256 iPhone 7 Plus. Though I only used about 35GB, it's still enough to make me leery of 64GB.

I don't like that feeling of wondering if I'll end up being constrained if I decide to download movies or something else of large space.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I seriously couldn't go back to the 64GB. No matter how much cloud storage I have. In the event I keep this device for a while longer than my upgrade cycle allows, I don't want to worry about space. I came from a 256 iPhone 7 Plus. Though I only used about 35GB, it's still enough to make me leery of 64GB.

I don't like that feeling of wondering if I'll end up being constrained if I decide to download movies or something else of large space.
Agreed. And this is where Apple are so smart; for what costs a few cents they charge another £150 knowing that many people will share our attitude and not risk it. I am in the same boat though and will never go below 128gb so I know they’ve got me as well. At least I know it’s all a big con rather than being ignorant to it, of course.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
Agreed. And this is where Apple are so smart; for what costs a few cents they charge another £150 knowing that many people will share our attitude and not risk it. I am in the same boat though and will never go below 128gb so I know they’ve got me as well. At least I know it’s all a big con rather than being ignorant to it, of course.
I kept my 7 Plus, still have it actually. So while I agree that Apple made their money on me, I factor in the chance that I'll be keeping a device. Even in the event I sell it privately, I'll have gotten my value out of it.

I do think Apple needs to stop being stingy and drop 64GB all together but with people like us, it's highly unlikely. The huge difference in space is quite a catch for them and a money maker.

Mac2019

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2016
I kept my 7 Plus, still have it actually. So while I agree that Apple made their money on me, I factor in the chance that I'll be keeping a device. Even in the event I sell it privately, I'll have gotten my value out of it.

I do think Apple needs to stop being stingy and drop 64GB all together but with people like us, it's highly unlikely. The huge difference in space is quite a catch for them and a money maker.
Yeah, they never will as it is probably the easiest way to increase their margin on the same phone. It's crafty in a way, but not in another as they're not hiding anything. As it is, I am considering sending the Pro Max back and getting an 11 128gb - much cheaper and if I do it on the iup at least I won't be stuck with it for 2 years before being able to upgrade. I just don't think the pro max offers enough upgrades on the xr.

Reactions: Septembersrain

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
Some people need the extra storage but, if you don’t the extra cost to purchase the 256gb version will never pay itself off down the road. Trade in value is no different and private sales might get you an extra $50 if you’re lucky.. I personally keep everything on the cloud, don’t play games and don’t take a ton of 4k videos so my phone has 40gb free out of 64gb. Do I think Apple should offer 128gb across the board as base configuration for all devices, absolutely... Will I pay $100-$150 extra for something I most likely will never need just in case I do, nope.

Reactions: akash.nu

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia

Which is why I'm thinking about filling a lawsuit about trade in values on the back end being agnostic to storage size 🤬

Reactions: compwiz1202

iFone88

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2018
If you use iCloud to back up and store photos etc 64gb is more than enough IMO

akash.nu

macrumors 604
May 26, 2016
Some people need the extra storage but, if you don’t the extra cost to purchase the 256gb version will never pay itself off down the road. Trade in value is no different and private sales might get you an extra $50 if you’re lucky.. I personally keep everything on the cloud, don’t play games and don’t take a ton of 4k videos so my phone has 40gb free out of 64gb. Do I think Apple should offer 128gb across the board as base configuration for all devices, absolutely... Will I pay $100-$150 extra for something I most likely will never need just in case I do, nope.
This is exactly my case. I always think I’ll try mobile gaming but never really get the time to actually get into it much. Most of my originally downloaded games all got automatically offloaded off the phone eventually thanks to auto optimisation of storage. I’ve never felt the urge to download them again. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: BugeyeSTI

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
Yeah, they never will as it is probably the easiest way to increase their margin on the same phone. It's crafty in a way, but not in another as they're not hiding anything. As it is, I am considering sending the Pro Max back and getting an 11 128gb - much cheaper and if I do it on the iup at least I won't be stuck with it for 2 years before being able to upgrade. I just don't think the pro max offers enough upgrades on the xr.
I wanted the Pro Max for the battery. It hasn't disappointed. It takes on my LG G8 ThinQ which no other iPhone could. My 7 Plus, the XS, 11 not even close. To be fair I didn't keep the XS or 11 very long as I found the XS to have terrible sound quality and the 11 just felt like a tiny toy to me.

jettie1767

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2003
New Jersey, USA
I travel a lot and takes a lot of pics as well. So, I went with 256GB. I do have an iCloud storage plan as well but I don't want to get caught with no local storage when I'm at a remote place with no data access.

ilikewhey

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
I remember when the 11 pro came out I said apple is being stingy by keeping a base 1000 phone with only 64gb, the criticism I get range from “nothing is free” to “you get what you pay for”

and now it seems folks r singing a different tune lol

Damon2

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2016
What is your storage taken up by.

I got the 256GB 11 Pro, I had a 64GB Pro as well which I returned.
I regret it should have kept the 64GB.

Funnily enough my 256 11 Pro is unopened.
Im supposed to be getting cashback so If that comes through, I'll keep it

If not I'll just sell it and see If I can snag a 64 11 Pro for a decent price.

I was anti 64 due off the price alone but as far as storage it probably would've been enough I was hovering around 37-40GB.

Its overkill.

Harthag

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2009
U.S.
I am using 24.3gb out of 64gb on my 11 Pro Max. I just signed up for 50gb iCloud storage to offload 15gb of photos and videos. I keep nothing locally on my iPhone anymore. All music, photos, video is in iCloud and local copies are all on my PC. I also pay for iTunes Match so I can upload all of my (non Apple Music) music to the cloud, and it doesn't count toward my 50gb iCloud limit either.

I'll see how I feel about this system come September. I'm paying $25 a year for Match plus $12 a year for iCloud storage. Apple Music is free for me with Verizon. $37 a year is better than $150 for 256gb phone storage.