Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allenz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
2GB is currently too big for iOS 5. The capacity in About does not take account into iOS + apps; it shows the full capacity of the chip.

^^^^This is what I was trying to say. Thank you!

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I do think iOS 5 is bigger although I'm not sure if Siri has anything to do with it. I updated my iPad 2 to iOS 5 and it doesn't use Siri at least not yet. It's not scientific but after the update it seems like I have less free space then I did before. That said it doesn't explain why different iOS devices with 5.0 and the same initial capacity are different free space capacities.

staeit

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
It's all part of Apple's plan. They really want to take away those 2 GB from you, for no good reason. Kidding :)

Basically as several people in this thread have already pointed out, 64 GiB = 59.6 GB, where GiB is base 10, and GB is base 2 (See gibibyte and gigabyte on wikipedia). iPhone 4S firmware 5.0 weighs in at 797 MB, but this is compressed. Renaming the IPSW to .zip gives you the ability to extract the compressed files. In this case there are two files that contribute to most of the IPSW file size: 038-2711-006.dmg (794.9 MB) and 018-8012-343.dmg (17.1 MB). These are also compressed and unfortunately both of these are password protected and so it's not possible to determine the size of the uncompressed files in the .dmg files (the password is probably not publicly known). But either way, the OS partition is separate from the storage partition and so this does not contribute to the storage space reported in iTunes or About screen. Apple also doesn't completely fill up the OS partition. This is made clear when you jailbreak past devices and go into Cydia, then view the storage layout.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

tl;dr The storage size is accurate. Apple set the partitions up slightly different between devices, and the OS is a slightly different size as well.

Allenz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I do think iOS 5 is bigger although I'm not sure if Siri has anything to do with it. I updated my iPad 2 to iOS 5 and it doesn't use Siri at least not yet. It's not scientific but after the update it seems like I have less free space then I did before. That said it doesn't explain why different iOS devices with 5.0 and the same capacity are different formatted capacities.

I fixed that for you

Allenz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
It's all part of Apple's plan. They really want to take away those 2 GB from you, for no good reason. Kidding :)

Basically as several people in this thread have already pointed out, 64 GiB = 59.6 GB, where GiB is base 10, and GB is base 2 (See gibibyte and gigabyte on wikipedia). iPhone 4S firmware 5.0 weighs in at 797 MB, but this is compressed. Renaming the IPSW to .zip gives you the ability to extract the compressed files. In this case there are two files that contribute to most of the IPSW file size: 038-2711-006.dmg (794.9 MB) and 018-8012-343.dmg (17.1 MB). These are also compressed and unfortunately both of these are password protected and so it's not possible to determine the size of the uncompressed files in the .dmg files (the password is probably not publicly known). But either way, the OS partition is separate from the storage partition and so this does not contribute to the storage space reported in iTunes or About screen. Apple also doesn't completely fill up the OS partition. This is made clear when you jailbreak past devices and go into Cydia, then view the storage layout.

Hope this clears up some confusion.

tl;dr The storage size is accurate.

So if what you say is true, then the capacity of a 32GB iPhone 4 with iOS 4 on it will have more than a 32GB iPhone 4S with iOS 5. Roughly 2GB more. That is not correct.

staeit

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2011
So if what you say is true, then the capacity of a 32GB iPhone 4 with iOS 4 on it will have more than a 32GB iPhone 4S with iOS 5. Roughly 2GB more. That is not correct.
It's tough to argue either way without knowing a) the fully uncompressed size of both OS's for each phone (password needed) and b) the way apple set their OS partition up for each device on each firmware (will be visible as soon as the 4S gets jailbroken). Actually devs might be able to see the partition setup right now; in any case I do see your point that 2GB discrepancy is significant.

PrinceyJ

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
It's tough to argue either way without knowing a) the fully uncompressed size of both OS's for each phone (password needed) and b) the way apple set their OS partition up for each device on each firmware (will be visible as soon as the 4S gets jailbroken). Actually devs might be able to see the partition setup right now; in any case I do see your point that 2GB discrepancy is significant.

I believe they are AES-128 encrypted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.