Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megasad

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
I have a 65GB WAV file that I want to edit and then compress down into an M4B.

I also have several 20GB WAV files that I want to edit and then combine into one file, compress that down to M4B too.

Does anyone know of any software that makes this possible?

Failing that, does anyone know of any software that can losslessly edit and combine M4B files?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Audacity ( Free ):

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/mac

Will allow you to export in all popular formats, add filters etc. etc.

I've been using it to rip my Vinyl and tape collection..works a charm

Can't do better than Audacity for quick curve on learning to use and excellent results. I only suggest that whomever uses it, realize they will need some workspace for a project if appending files together is important of the size original mentioned. Btw if I recall, any m4a file can be converted to m4b by manual edit then adjust the new "metadata" or go into meta data and say its an audio book..I don't recall which way does it or if both do.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Can't do better than Audacity for quick curve on learning to use and excellent results. I only suggest that whomever uses it, realize they will need some workspace for a project if appending files together is important of the size original mentioned. Btw if I recall, any m4a file can be converted to m4b by manual edit then adjust the new "metadata" or go into meta data and say its an audio book..I don't recall which way does it or if both do.

Both...:) I'm a pro Logic X user, but Audacity is a very good little app for jobs like this...I'm old enough to remember when it was first released...!:D

megasad

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Audacity ( Free )… Will allow you to export in all popular formats, add filters etc. etc.

Can't do better than Audacity for quick curve on learning to use and excellent results.

I tried Audacity but it crashes every time I try to open the 65GB file.

I only suggest that whomever uses it, realize they will need some workspace for a project if appending files together is important of the size original mentioned.

Does it matter that the file is on an external drive and that my internal one has only 35GB free? Do I need more RAM than 4GB?

Btw if I recall, any m4a file can be converted to m4b by manual edit then adjust the new "metadata" or go into meta data and say its an audio book..I don't recall which way does it or if both do.

Yep, both M4A and M4B are just file extensions for the same type of file. I'm starting with WAV but if editing 65GB files proves to be too much hassle then I'll need to look for lossless editing/merging of M4Bs, I'll generate the M4Bs using some kind of command line tool first.

Both...:) I'm a pro Logic X user, but Audacity is a very good little app for jobs like this...I'm old enough to remember when it was first released...!:D

Have you used Pro Logic X to edit files 65GB or larger? Does it need more than 4GB RAM to work well?

megasad

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Hmm, I told Audacity to "Read uncompressed audio files directly from the original" and so then it can open the WAV file without crashing.

However, instead of the 47 hours it should be, it's only showing 3 hours, 22 minutes and 54 seconds. This is the same length I get if I add the WAV file to my iTunes library and also if I open it in QuickTime Player 7.

In all three cases, the audio simply stops at that point.

…

3:22:54 corresponds to 4GB of data, which I now realise is the cause of my problem:

Note: WAV files cannot be more than 4 GB in size. That means 6 hours 40 minutes for a 16-bit stereo 44100 Hz WAV. Many applications won't play WAV files larger than 2 GB (3 hours 20 minutes for a 16-bit stereo 44100 Hz WAV).

- http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Recording_length

~~~

So now I'll start with M4A files instead, shall give Fission a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.