6630M Teardown?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by FrancoisC, Jul 28, 2011.

1. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

Hi all!

Has anybody who has a mini with a 6630M made a "teardown" yet?

I've seen the iFixit one with the Intel HD3000, but I'm curious to see the difference in logic board/motherboard between the 2.

2. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'm guessing it would be roughly the same due to the fact the CPU and GPU are soldered to the mainboard...

3. FrancoisC thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

It must be almost the same, but the HD3000 is integrated with the CPU, the 6630M is not. And on the i3/HD3000 board, there's no space for an additional chip, so there must be some difference.

Anyway, I'm just curious, when I get my tools I'll probably check on mine.

4. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

It's soldered to the mainboard not the CPU, the though did cross my mind to upgrade the GPU but it wont be possible.

5. FrancoisC thread starter macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

I'll say it again, with a link this time, Intel's HD3000 GPU is "soldered" within the processor:

http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031174.htm#1

I know the 6630M is not upgradeable, but obviously there are 2 different logic board for the new mini.

In fact, even the i5 and i7 version have the HD3000, but it's not activated

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

6. Bearxor macrumors 6502a

Actually, for Sandy Bridge processors, the Intel graphics chips are on-die with the processor, not a separate chip nor integrated in to the Northbridge any longer. You could say they are "on-cpu", though technically they're still separate from the CPU. I think Ivy Bridge integrates graphics more in to the CPU itself.

Here are some pics from TechRepublic of the ATi chipset:

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/...52&tag=thumbnail-view-selector;get-photo-roto

7. Westyfield2 macrumors 6502a

What chipset does the Mac Mini use?

As on PC with the Intel Z68 chipset and a good motherboard you can use Lucid Virtu for simultaneous Integrated/Discrete GPU on Sandy Bridge platforms...

8. japtor macrumors regular

I think it (non Radeon one at least) has a HM65 chipset, but I couldn't find anything about using it with Quick Sync and a discrete GPU.

And I think Virtu is for pre-Z68 systems.

9. thedenethor macrumors newbie

Looks like Intel BD82HM65 is used in Radeon version. According to above link from tech republic.