667 MHz vs 800 MHz FB-DIMMs for first gen Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dusanv, Jan 26, 2009.

1. dusanv macrumors 6502

Seeing that there's no price difference (almost) between 667 and 800 MHz FB-DIMMs, I'm thinking to order 800 MHz ones for my first generation Mac Pro. No, I don't think there's going to be a performance difference, it's just that they are useful in a Harpertown Mac Pro too (should I get one some day). Has anyone done this so far? Barefeats says 800 MHz modules work just fine in first generation Mac Pros.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

At this point, you won't really want to be updating to Harpertown (or just drop the want out of there entirely), as Gainestown is around the corner and by the time you even NEED another Mac Pro, we should be nearing Westmere.

Get the 800MHz RAM anyway, because when you DO get your next one, you can sell your current one with its own RAM and then sell the extra RAM separately to a Harpertown user if you wish.

3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

You cant use the 800mhz RAM for the first gen, it will clock down to 667mhz anyways.

Like what Tallest Skil has said, get the 800mhz RAM for future upgradability if you do decide to upgrade to the current 8 core harpertowns. But if your planning to jump ship to Nehalem later on, see if you can find the 667mhz RAM on the cheap.

4. Ronchande macrumors member

Ordered some a couple of weeks ago, works perfect. They're just running with 667Mhz instead of 800.

Ron

5. dusanv thread starter macrumors 6502