670 aftermarket cooler in MP case

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by BigJohno, Nov 16, 2013.

1. BigJohno, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

BigJohno macrumors 65816

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I had one of the Arctic Coolers on my previous 5870 and it was very effective and quiet. You may actually find that the expansion bay fan gets louder than the GPU fans. It will certainly fit your card and case but the heat will be dumped into the case itself instead of vented outside.

Be aware that it is a thicker cooler than you currently have so make sure you have space.

You may also want to look at their 3-fan cooler... http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-xtreme-iii.html

3. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the input Daniel. I will look into the three fan version. It seems like this is the only brand that provides aftermarket VGA coolers...

4. pastrychef, Nov 16, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2013

pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I have read very positive reviews of the Accelero coolers in the past. Just be sure to check if it takes up an additional slot because I remember reading that, due to the size, it blocks one PCI-e slot.

Attached Files:

5. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

If you can compare how much heat at load a 670 produces relative to, say, a 5870 and a 7950, I can give you some personal experience of what expansion bay fan noise to expect..

My 5870 with the old Accelero extreme plus cooler was silent under load and only a little expansion bay fan noise was heard.

My current 7950 with its own 3-fan cooler which works in the same way is fairly quiet under load but the expansion bay fan is very intrusive.

If you can work out the heat under load, you should be able to draw a rough line and work out what to expect from how that style of cooler affects the expansion bay, noise wise.

6. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

I wen't ahead and purchased the Accelero Xtreme III. I will post pictures when I install it and a short review.

I looked around online and saw a few videos online about the 7v and 12v fan mode. I'm curious if under osx the fans run at 7v or the lower speed.

7. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

Sorry for the dimly lit photos. I will take some better ones in day.

This heatsink is definitely a challenge to install. It took me about an hour after I got the stock cooler off to having the new cooler on. Getting it in the MP case was not easy either. I had to take the PCI fan out in order for it to fit. The little brass pipes stick about a 1/16th inch past the fan grill.

Sound and Temp:

This cooler is extremely quite under load and idle. The stock cooler on the GTX 670 ran around 45 idle and 80+ under load with fans speed ranging from 35% to 75%. The temps dropped to about 30 at idle and 50 under load. The fans only spin up by 10% and even at 100% they are wiser quite. I do however, notice that the PCI fan spins up a little higher now because of the added heat in the case but not by much.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the cooler.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BigJohno thread starter macrumors 65816

You have to open image in new tab to see at full size.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]