$670 Alternative to MacBook Air

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bigdaddymac, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bigdaddymac macrumors regular

Anyone using this Toccata Keyboard with their iPad? Was thinking of getting the new MacBook Air until I saw this. Looks pretty amazing.

I mainly would use the iPad with this keyboard when traveling and doing heavy email and web research, so though this might do the trick. I already have a MacBook, but would be wonderful to have something as portable as the iPad, but with the ability to also do large amounts of typing when needed. I can also see this fitting in very nicely on a plane....

Anyone using this??

http://www.fastcompany.com/1697271/who-needs-the-macbook-air-a-review-of-the-best-ipad-keyboard-yet

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I tried it.

First at all, not an "Alternative" to the Macbook air at all, Not even close to performance, OS totally different, Multitasking (real), memory etc.

Now... as a Nice keyboard for the iPad with for power user, it is great. To me, it add to much bulk to the iPad. I don't type "that" much on it, I do minor editing to documents, email, and web. the on screen keyboard cover me well, and when I am home, I got a bluetooth keyboard. My 2 cents

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

In no way is an iPad, as much as I love it, an alternative to a MBA.

That keyboard looks nice but I laugh when they illustrate it with a Twitter client and not a productivity app.

4. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

That's good to know - re: the added bulk. Meant to ask this originally. I want a keyboard/case combination that is lean....

5. hashholly macrumors 6502

I actually ordered this keyboard yesterday after seeing this thread, All things considered, I think i will prefer this to an iPad + Apple Bluetooth keyboard because its an all in one solution that will fit in the netbook sized Timbuk2 case i own. I really only need a physical keyboard if im doing heavy emailing/numbers/pages work, So hopefully this works well, i'll be sure to review it once it arrives.

6. bigdaddymac thread starter macrumors regular

Great, look forward to the review. Include photos if possible!

7. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

Although this does sound attractive, it is not a full size keyboard and therefore typing would probably be slower (though the article writer still seemed happy). Plus, the efficiency of a trackpad would improve productivity greatly, in my opinion.

8. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I have an iPad an I also just got an 11.6" MBA for my wife. An iPad is great and I enjoy using it, but it is a completely different device than an MBA. I am mightily impressed with these new MBA's.

9. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I have a 13inch MacBook Pro, a 32Gig iPad 3G, and a Dell Mini 10 Hackintosh. I had a second rev MBA and sold it a while ago. I don't miss it. The Dell is pretty much ignored now and I rarely carry my MBP. If I need a small laptop I grab the Dell but for most uses it's the iPad for on the go computing.

10. prot0type macrumors regular

This hasn't been released yet, but it's another choice as far as a keyboard/case hybrid, Engadget posted the news a few days ago: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1038715

It does look slightly slimmer, though I'm not sure if what's pictured is the finished product.

11. 1appleAday macrumors regular

I wouldn't think of iPad + external keyboard as Macbook Air alternative. The OS, form factor and hardware are totally different and serve different purposes IMHO