6750M always active?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InuNacho, Jun 29, 2012.

1. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

The discrete graphics card on my early 2011 17 inch is always on even though I have the automatic switching on in the System Preferences. I've been manually changing it through AtMonitor which gets the job done, but several times I've forgotten to re-enable the 6750 or even use the 3000.
    I'm runnin 10.6.8 if that makes any difference.

Is there any noticeable difference in battery life, if not I'm not going to bother trying to find a solution.

2. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Are you plugged to an external display or using an old PowerPC application?

3. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

External display will trigger the discrete GPU, if not download gfxCardstatus you can then take far more control over the GPU`s and mote importantly see the dependencies you may be surprised at what apps call for the discrete GPU

I set my 15" 2011 2.4 i7 to only use the integrated GPU on battery and dynamic switching on mains power supply. This very much makes a difference with battery life and thermal management, as you can override manually any time, just be mindful that some apps dont take kindly to switching midstream.

4. Itzmemark macrumors member

how can you see when it is active and not active?

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- One way is to select "About this Mac" and then "More information" in the Apple menu. You will then see either the integrated or the discrete graphics listed under "Graphics", depending on which is active.

6. Itzmemark macrumors member

Hmm I'm watching a movie and it's ok is that right? I thought it only kicked in when the intel couldn't handle it. And is there any draw back to it being on?

7. JTToft macrumors 68040

The idea is that it's only for the more demanding applications, but some third party apps enable the discrete graphics for no reason - Google Chrome for instance. It really depends on the developers.
    There are two drawbacks to using the discrete graphics: 1) a decrease in battery life, and 2) higher system temperatures.
    The advantage is, of course, the better performance. For the time being, I'm using my MacBook Pro pretty much always at a desk at home, so I have disabled the automatic graphics switching entirely and am only using the discrete.

Basically, I would say don't worry about it, unless you absolutely need the longer battery life - then you can force the integrated graphics on. Otherwise, just leave it be.

8. Itzmemark macrumors member

Thanx