6750m clock speed differences between 15" and 17"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tastannin, Feb 24, 2011.

1. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Hey, can any of you check the clock speeds on your 15 and 17 MBP's with the AMD Radeon 6750m? Just trying to decide if I ought to go with a 17 - and if they have pushed the clock speeds higher due to the larger chassis?

The same GPU will be pushing a bigger display on the 17 so don't want to get stuck with it - want to be sure I have the right MBP for my gaming fix whenever it rolls around. :)

Thanks!

2. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

Apples been known to downlock GPUs before so it wouldn't surprise me. Would be interested to find out for sure this time around though.

3. Tastannin thread starter macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Anybody have a chance to check the 6750m clock speeds yet?

Cheers.

4. Derango macrumors regular

In the 15" 6750m benchmark thread somebody ran CPU-Z on it and it's running at the ATI recommended 600mhz.

No downclocking this time.

5. Tastannin thread starter macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Thanks for the info. Does that mean that the 15 and 17 MBP's have identical GPU clock speeds for the 6750m?

6. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Well, let me ask you this then. Can you imagine Apple raising the clock speed on the video card? They aren't Alienware. They are probably the same.

7. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

I read in one of the other threads that the core clock was AMD stock, but the memory had been underclocked. But considering it uses GDDR 5, which is much faster anyway, it probably doesn't matter too much.

8. Tastannin thread starter macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Chill, man. I never asked if they would raise the clock speed. I never said they were Alienware. All I'm trying to do is see if the GPU clock speeds are different between the new 15 and 17 MBP's for a very good reason.

You may not be aware that Apple's done what I'm talking about in the past. Look at the table at the end of this BareFeats page on the Santa Rosa MBP's comparing the 8600M clock speeds for the 15 and 17 models.

The conclusion from that page states:
    I'm sure I am not the only one out there who wants to know if we will get a faster GPU when buying the 17 MBP? :)

Quick note: Bare Feats checked the GPU speeds were using ATITool under Windows, so that may help some who are looking to check their new system's GPU speed.