Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pauli440

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I've had this new MBP for just over two weeks now after my early 2008 MBP was stolen.
My primary use for this machine besides the usual Web, Email and document creation is Music Production.

I use an RME FireFace 400 as my audio interface and had no issues with my previous mac - however after finally getting my hands on a FW 800-400 cable from belkin I thought there would be no issues. Alas this is not the case. All latest drivers are installed however when audio is sent to the FF400 it continually resets causing only tiny snippets of sound to come out (every 4 seconds approx)

After speaking with the Australian importer and authority on the RME FF400 this was the conclusion that was presented to me by him and RME germany.

"The recent firewire audio interface issues on the new iMac are now a problem on the new MBPs.
According to RME this is due to the Agere fw chip used on those machines which causes a firewire bus reset when starting playback in isochronous mode. The problem also manifests on Motu and other devices."

I am told (by the RME importer) this is not a problem that any software/firmware update can fix as the problem is inherent in the Chipset itself.

Lucent (Agere) = No work with many major music peripherals
Texas Instruments = Smooth sailing

Check your chipset before you purchase by pressing CMD+S on boot-up

Hope there may be a solution for this without having to buy other hardware to offset this problem.

MasterNile

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2008
San Antonio, TX
This is mentioned many times on the "Steve Jobs on lack of firewire" thread. The Agere chipset has many problems with audio devices and for most are unusable with it meaning Apple practically removed all firewire from their notebooks, and don't bother with an Expresscard FW adapter as that won't work any better.

Pauli440

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
soz, didn't see the other posts....
I am told that a firewire repeater cable may fix the issue (apple have also requested that I try using a firewire hub) ....

Timur

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2008
The easiest solution is to use one of these:

http://www.lindy.de/ieee1394a-firewire-repeater-kabel/32908.html

32908big.jpg

Or get a Firewire hub or a Firewire harddrive and put it in between the Mac and the Fireface.

A better solution would be for Apple to use the new rev. 7 LSI/Agere chipset which according to RME solves the issues. But don't count on that.

tbox

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
same issue over here THIS IS RIDICULOUS!

My MBP
Hardware Overview:
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP51.0074.B01
SMC Version (system): 1.33f8
Serial Number (system): W88521651GN

FIREWIRE info:
090528 10:47:10 AM kernel FireWire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5901 built-in now active, GUID 0023dffffe832bec; max speed s800.

I have been connecting the FF400 via an external HD to the FW800 port on the MBP with no luck
my issue is described well in the first post on this thread

if anyone at RME or Apple would mind actually responding with some facts and possible work-arounds.. I am all ears but given that I have already waited more than 30 days for a response I am currently not optimistic

if more folks have this issue with the Lucent FW chip... please raise your hand, stand up and shout... do something about it - perhaps Apple might be willing to swap our MBPs for units that actually work as intended!

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
tbox,

Read the above two posts...I have worked around with an external hard drive (with both FW 400/800 availability...you can plug the FF into the External HD which is connected via 800 to the computer) OR, a Firewire Hub.

"and don't bother with an Expresscard FW adapter as that won't work any better."

Is this true MasterNile? I was kind of hoping this was going to work;) Seriously though...we've had decent luck with expansion eSata and other peripherals for P2 (video) digestion.

J

tbox

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2008
thanks... the rig is working once again
with 10.5.7 on the unibody MBP 2.8GHz

you guys were a great help ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.