675mx vs 680mx benchmarks closer than you might think!

Discussion in 'iMac' started by flavr, Mar 24, 2013.

1. flavr macrumors 6502

flavr

2. jmthigpen macrumors regular

3. Quazimojo macrumors regular

Quazimojo

Since the GTX675mx is really the 680m in all other notebooks it is not the least bit surprising as we know the 680mx is 10-15% higher then the GTX680m.

The 675mx in the iMac should be an overclocking monster in the right hands as it is the Clevo's/Alienwares/MSI's.

I would still opt for the 680mx because of the extra VRAM if nothing else and its to bad Apple gimped it with only 1gb.

Also for the extra $150 Apple is charging it is more or less one of those no brainers if you are really concerned about gaming on the iMac and already spending north of $2000.00

Many things can be changed in the iMac if you feel up to it IE CPU/RAM/HDs but not the GPU,so i would go biggest especially if i was thinking long term ownership.

I myself am strongly debating getting rid of my RMBP 15 and ordering the iMac 27. Just deciding if i want to get a fusion drive or use an external TB SSD or yank off the display and install Blade SSD or remove the mechanical.

4. kaellar macrumors 6502

Quazimojo, I opted the last for my 21.5 iMac =)
    128GB FD was too small for me, not to mention the fact that here in Russia iMac with 16gb RAM and FD costs like two iMacs =)
    So I got the 256GB blade ssd on ebay, 2x8gb so-dimms and installed all the stuff by myself. Nothing really hard, since there are decent instructions in the web. But, of course, that avoids your warranty though.

5. flavr thread starter macrumors 6502

flavr

As I wouldn't want to own an iMac past the 3 year apple care period the 675mx will give a solid 2-3 years of great performance. Once it starts showing its age, time to sell iMac and upgrade to a 2016-17 iMac :)

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

No kidding. The difference is totally worth it, especially when you're struggling to hit 60fps at 2560x1440 with even the 680MX as I've found to be the case with many titles. Definitely can't have too much power!