Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bettz1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Leicester,UK
Hi all just installed total war 2 on windows 7 via boot camp.It's a new i5 2.7 ghz Mac. I was a bit disappointed with the graphics only being able to select low. I know macs aren't for gaming but I wondered why people have been saying they can get medium to high settings??? Is something wrong?

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Have you updated the graphics drivers from the bootcamp ones that came with your Mac? That may help.

Apart from that, are you running the game at native resolution? Maybe those mid-high people are using 1920x1080 instead. It's a mobile gpu after all, that may have trouble displaying such a demanding game like Shogun2 at 2560x1440.

Teilzeitemo

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2010
That's indeed strange. My MBP with the 6750m handles shogun 2 quite well at 1680x1050 with medium to high settings under windows 7.
I'm sure you have installed the latest bootcamp drivers for windows 7 which came with your machine...otherwise you should do that.
Perhaps it could help to select the directx 9 engine. The difference is negligible (my personal opinion) and it runs faster as under directx 11.

Edit: I forgot about the high resolution of the 27" iMac - I think thats the solution, you should definitely lower your resolution to e.g. 1920x1080 - the 6770m is far to weak to display demanding games, which shogun under high settings can be - at native res.

easepease

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2010
Colorado
like the last posters edit... keep in mind the resolution of that 27 inch display, so running at native resolution and all high settings would be hard for most new games.

I do know that getting new drivers will definitely make things better cause you should be able to run better than the lowest settings. let us know

Bettz1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Leicester,UK
I've installed boot camp on windows 7 its updated the drivers etc.At best i can go to custom settings and put a few things on medium.

I've been on the radeon website and tried to dl the driver but i get a error when trying to install.

I've installed all the windows updates

Anything else i can try

I've been switching the resolution right down to the lowest and it still doesnt let me change from low settings

Bettz1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Leicester,UK
I'll try and install a few demos. The bootcamp I've used is version 3. Something.

Where can I get the drivers from?

Bettz1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Leicester,UK
Right i've checked my graphics cards drivers and there version 8.812.0.0 which i think is the latest.

I've installed the latest direct x version

Any ideas???

Im currently downloading crysis 2 demo to try

Bettz1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Leicester,UK
So does shogun total war 2 work ok on everyone elses imac or mbp?????

Just run this test and it doesnt look good

Capture.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.