$68 for 8 gigs of memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rwd hero, Apr 8, 2011.

1. rwd hero macrumors 6502

2. TXBDan macrumors regular

3. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Still great for the 2010/2009 guys.

4. Resist macrumors 68030

Same price and free shipping at Amazon, plus no state tax (at least for my state).

I noticed all the RAM seems to be 1066Mhz. Are there no 1067Mhz RAM, like what is in my 2010 MBP?

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

1067 is 1066.6(repeating)MHz rounded up ;)

6. frankjl macrumors regular

have a mid 2009 macbook pro running 1333 ddr3 memory :)

That combined with the hybrid SSD = WHOA!!

7. Myrm macrumors newbie

Myrm

I wanted to boost my MacBook Pro labtop RAM from 4GB to 8GB. I looked at two sites:

1. Apple: They wanted £320 ($525)

2. Crucial: They wanted £80 ($131)

I went for Crucial. :)

8. mackage macrumors 6502

I have an old late 2008 2.66 C2D that will still do most of anyones tasks. I was thinking of upgrading the RAM. Is your pc running the RAM at 1333?

9. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

You realize that Ram isn't actually running at 1333 right? On that model it is downclocked.

10. Alexjones, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011

Alexjones macrumors 6502

11. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

So what are you guys doing with the old memory? I've been looking at them on eBay, and they're only going for about $25-$30, then knock off 12% for fees.

I really have no other use for my old chips and no one else to give them to, so I'll just put them up on eBay anyways. Is there anything I need to do before shipping it out (like erasing the memory's memory, if such a thing exists)?

12. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Just wrap the ram stick in plastic or something static free. Memory is erased the moment it loses power.

13. rwd hero thread starter macrumors 6502

If you need to take your computer to Apple to get a repair done you will need to replace the ram with the OEM sticks. Apple is notorious for giving your computer back in the state it was purchased (i.e. taking your SSD out and giving back the original harddrive and same goes with memory). I am just sticking my memory in the case i got my new memory in and throwing it in the junk drawer. The hassle isn't really worth the $20 you will get for it.

P.S. got the memory in today, the install was a breeze!

14. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

good move, never an issue so far with their memory.

15. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Can you elaborate on this please? How do you mean to wrap in plastic?

My new 8GB of RAM just arrived and it's just in a plastic blister pack as far as I can tell. I was just going to put the old sticks in those packs and save them that way. Do I need to worry about them "erasing"? (What gets erased? I normally think of data when I think of that)

Thanks!

Miss Terri

16. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Nothing to worry about being erased. Once you powered down they were erased, and definitely erased when removed from the system (they are not permanent storage just temporary when powered on (and can only store data when they have power to them). Just place them in that bubble wrap and store where they won't get bent or broken. Just ground yourself before handling them (such as touching the casing of the MBP) so that the chips don't get destroyed by static, that is really the only thing to worry about..

17. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

I thought about that, but I will most likely replace it before the one year mark. The memory upgrade wasn't really for my own personal use, but more for the resale value.

So did I. I imagine these threads will have more activity in the next couple of days.

Just a note to those filling out the rebate form: The rebate requires a sales receipt. I was almost ready to use the packing slip, then I saw the rebate form stated that packing slips are excluded. I didn't get an email of a sales receipt, so I had to go back onto buy.com and print out the receipt. I did guest checkout, but luckily I was able to pull it up using my order number.

And be careful with the UPC code. It is more fragile than it looks, so take your time peeling it off.

18. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

And also clean, dry hands. Oils and moistures don't play well with chips.

19. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It still angers me that I missed out on the Crucial 8 GB RAM for $75 a few months ago. I've been waiting for the price to drop down again. This Kingston deal is enticing, but I hate mail-in rebates.

20. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

Why is this? I'm not singling you out personally, but I read somewhere that the average response rate for mail-in rebates is something like 20%. Interest rates/net present values aren't really spectacular, especially with a small sum and short timeframe like this. So it's not like the money could be put to better use.

These things take little time and minimal effort. When Apple do their MIR promos they're done online/in-store, and the rebate is in my hand within one week.

21. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't know what it is exactly. I just don't like the fact that I have to do more work to be given a discount when it could have been given during checkout. The whole system doesn't make sense from a consumer's point. From the company's point of view, it makes complete sense.

Plus there's always the risk that you filled something out incorrectly, attached the wrong document, forgot to attach something, it got lost in the mail, etc etc.

And for some reason, I'd trust Apple with a mail-in rebate more than any other retail company out there. It would make sense that Apple would have it back on time. :) You can't say the same for all the other companies out there though...

22. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

I hear you. I've never had a MIR get lost, but we'll see what happens in four to six weeks.

23. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Yup before my bro could get his 2008 replaced with a 2011 apple wanted the original 2gb he replaced with 4th. He sold it but it wasn't hard to find a mb user that would do a free swap from 2 to 4gb so he could get his old 08 swapped for the new new.

24. Mactrillionaire macrumors regular

The good thing about Kingston is that they have lifetime warranty on their memory products. Apple is only one year or three years (if you get AppleCare). The only problem I've experienced with Kingston is that the memory sometimes falsely fails the Power On Self Test and you have to open up the computer and reseat it (Power On Self Test with RAM removed and then Power On Self Test with it replaced). That's not a big issue, however, as their memory lasts and lasts and is a very good value.

25. marc11 macrumors 68000

I purchased this RAM with the MIR too, I hate them too because it is a PITA, just give me the discount. The whole MIR thing is a scam in the hopes that most people will not mail it in or mail it in wrong and not get the rebate. But I will say I always get my money when I do send in the MIR, and in fact, Kingston actually sent me an email about two weeks after sending mine in to confirm they received it and a link to check the status, pretty good IMHO.

As for the Kingston RAM, it works well, no issues and Kingston is a world leader in memory products, no reason to be concerned about it.