Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vailance

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
MY
hi, i have a dual 1.8ghz G5. i planned to buy a 6800GT AGP PC and would like to flash it to mac, but i found that flashing requires a PC, is there any possible way to flash it without a PC because i don't have a AGP based PC. I heard VNC through the g5 and flash a 9800 will work, how about 6800GT?:confused:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
hi, i have a dual 1.8ghz G5. i planned to buy a 6800GT AGP PC and would like to flash it to mac, but i found that flashing requires a PC, is there any possible way to flash it without a PC because i don't have a AGP based PC. I heard VNC through the g5 and flash a 9800 will work, how about 6800GT?:confused:

I flashed quite a bit of 9800s a while back on my G4. I used Chicken of the VNC from an iBook and screen shared the PM G4. You can also do it blindly by setting the program to run automatically on startup to flash the card.

I will find all the sites for guides that you will need and post them back.

Here's the list of Mac Roms.
Also check around that site as there is pretty much everything you need to know or how to successfully flash a PC video card with a Mac Rom. Good luck and be sure to post back with any updates.

vailance

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
MY
hi, i knew that the flasher will work, what i mean is will the 6800GT pc card able to boot my g5 into leopard so that i could connect to the screen via my macbook over vnc? i knew some of the card will stopping the mac to boot .:confused:

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
hi, i knew that the flasher will work, what i mean is will the 6800GT pc card able to boot my g5 into leopard so that i could connect to the screen via my macbook over vnc? i knew some of the card will stopping the mac to boot .:confused:

Yes, the G5 should still boot up, just without video of course. It will ignore the PC video card until you flash it and restart it.

vailance

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2008
MY
Yes, the G5 should still boot up, just without video of course. It will ignore the PC video card until you flash it and restart it.
hi, i saw your signature you has a 256mb 9800 se, i've tried to flash a 128mb 9800 SE 256bit, no matter what rom i flash in it still wont recognize by the G5, it just showing card with vendor id and revision id:0000 on slot-1. Im using the same method as the one posted on the web on step to step flashing via vnc with graphicaccelerator . May i know how to done it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.