687kbps iMac / 5087kbps MacBook?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacMoose, Jul 19, 2007.

1. MacMoose macrumors newbie

So from the title you can see what my concern is. I have an Apple Extreme Base Station and both my MacBook and iMac connect to it. I decided to test the speeds as I always felt the iMac ran slow over the internet. I also have Fios internet.

I think I have broadband turner installed on the iMac but not the Macbook. I also am connected via 802.11g. Both computers are intel core duo's.

I also ran the tests on both computers from the same location in the house.

Any ideas as to why the major difference?

Any suggestions would be most helpful.

Thanks!

2. btcomm macrumors regular

Make a new location, also were you having this slow speed before you installed broadband tuner? Obviously it doesn't seem to be working. Also do you have any proxy's set in on the imac? Also, does your signal strength seem low on the imac compared to the macbook?

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

let us know how your signal strength is on both machines. Does changing the position of the imac or the airport change the speed?

4. MacMoose thread starter macrumors newbie

Turns out things are ok now. I went into both Network settings on each Mac and removed anything on the iMac that wasn't the same as the Macbook. While nothing stood out that I removed (i.e. wireless networks around the neighborhood) things worked themselves out.

I ran the test everyday since I posted this and have been getting 5000kps and up on both the iMac and Macbook.

I went ahead and upgraded apple base station to the new draft n (even though I dont have n) so I could connect an external hard drive.

Thanks for the feedback though!