68mb Photos wont sync with 670 mb free

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andrema2, Jan 4, 2011.

1. andrema2 macrumors member

Hi guys

I have a folder with 68 mb of photos that I normally sync with my iPhone. Now it's complaining about lack of space to do it although I have 670mb free.

If I turn it off and then on again it does work. Does it happens because of temp files ? Does it cause my iPhone to be laggy ?

Thanks

2. alangrehan macrumors regular

I know the iPhone 'optimizes' the photos, I think it's something to do with the screen size. I presume it uses space on the phone to do this.

Another similar problem I have is the TomTom app. It's about 2GB in size but when I download an update to the computer I need to have about 5 to 6GB free to install the app. Not exactly sure why but I need to de-sync my music... Sync TomTom and then re-sync my music.

Maybe someone can give a reason for this.

3. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

You could be right on the pictures.

On the TomTom app it downloads and then unpacks/installs and finally deletes the old version. I think. Anyway that's the only way I can explain why it takes so much space. You can easily get around this by telling the app to update, hit the icon to pause the update and then sync the phone. Itunes will them see the hung update and download it via the computer, I think there is a popup saying this when it happens. When done sync again and you get the new app, no extra space or shuffling to free up room required.

4. err404 macrumors 68020

I'm not sure about the photo issue, other then to say that 68mb seems small for a folder full of full sized photos. Are you sure you're not miscounting a digit?

But I can explain the TomTom problem. The install process takes place in two or three steps. The first step copies a compressed app file to your phone and the second step extracts it. If applicable, a final step deletes any prior versions. The App store only lists the compressed download size. As a result you will may need about three times the free space that is listed in the App store on top of the space consumed by the any prior versions of the app.
    I'll use Rage HD as an example because I know the files sizes. Rage HD is listed as 750MB in the App store, but actually consumes 1.5GB once installed. Since the compressed file is not removed until after the install is complete, close to 2.5GB is required at install time. To make matters worse, if you are upgrading a large app you will have to account for the old installed version, the new version and the compressed version. So during an upgrade a large app like Rage HD can be consume more than 3.5GB (five times the App store size).
    TomTom is even larger then RageHD, but I don't recall the exact sizes. (I believe 1.5GB compressed and just over 2G installed) so an upgrade will consume at least 5.5GB. A clean install will require more than 3.5 GB.