Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkmags

macrumors member
Original poster
May 6, 2011
I was reading another thread in which the poster questioned his high temps 80c of his GPU running Lion, I am not sure if it was determined to be an issue with Lion or not. With some of the replies users reported lower temps and lower W usage on their GPU.

I've purchased iStats Menu to help keep my imac a little cooler in general use but i did notice my GPU tends to run mid 50s to low 60s Celsius and consistently runs at 31 to 32 Watts with basic use (no gaming). I was thinking of resetting the PRAM but wanted so see if this was normal.

I do run a second monitor (24" 1920x1080 via thunderbolt port, Mini Display to HDMI cable). If you have the 6970m GPU, could you report your GPU temps and Watt usage and if you are running a single or multiple monitor setup with basic use?

Thanks!

tstraus13

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2007
GPU Temps

I am also wondering what temps people are getting with their 6970m GPU. I am at GPU Diode 77c and GPU Heatsink 65c. I am running 10.7. This seems hot to me for idle. I have also had problems with artifacts in lion on the desktop, but not with Snow Leopard. I have read other reports of this issue too. What kind of temps is everyone else getting?

mrfoof82

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2010
Lawton, OK
54C idle for the diode, 49C idle for the heatsink. However, I do not run at stock fan speeds. (2200rpm optical drive, 2000rpm hard drive, 1500rpm CPU). This is with a 27" LED Cinema Display as the second display.

Increasing the speed of the optical drive fan makes the most sense, since the GPU is roughly in that part of the computer.

IIRC, my setup draws ~115-125W at idle and light usage, at ~50% brightness.

dwarnecke11

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2009
FWIW, the 5850M in my 2010 i7 idles around 55-60°C. It's typically the hottest part of the machine, with the HD and Power Supply taking a close second.

towje

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2011
well i think i was that one poster you mentioned.
and well, i didn't really know what was/is the cause.

most of the time my gpu runs on 55-60° on idle and uses around 15-20 watt.
using only iMac monitor.

but sometimes it seems istat menu is stuck. then gpu is up to 80° and constantly using 30-40 watt.

but the imac keeps being quite as hell. so i don't think the hardware is affected. i think it's a software bug.

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Hey .. that was my thread, thank you for continuing the discussion :)

Yeah I'm running Lion .. and after a while (an hour or more), the GPU heatsink and diode reach around 70 - 80C .. maybe much more like 2nd post there. And that was when CPU idled, no secondary display, normal activities

Snow Leopard was always cool unless I go gaming. But when it's doing anything not 3d, it used to be around 50 - 60C, even after I watch a lot of Youtube,

I don't know whether this is a general issue, or only happens with 6970M :(

Objector

macrumors member
May 16, 2011
Hey .. that was my thread, thank you for continuing the discussion :)

Yeah I'm running Lion .. and after a while (an hour or more), the GPU heatsink and diode reach around 70 - 80C .. maybe much more like 2nd post there. And that was when CPU idled, no secondary display, normal activities

Snow Leopard was always cool unless I go gaming. But when it's doing anything not 3d, it used to be around 50 - 60C, even after I watch a lot of Youtube,

I don't know whether this is a general issue, or only happens with 6970M :(

I am experiencing the exact same thing, really bugs me! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.