6970M GPU Fan Speed

Discussion in 'iMac' started by arthursk, Nov 15, 2011.

1. arthursk macrumors newbie

Has anyone had any luck adjusting the fan speeds on the 6970M. (Bootcamp)

Under Win 7, I'm using GPU-Z to monitor and it's only using 30% capacity and ending in temps hovering from 70-80C. I would prefer to lower this by upping the fan speed.

Catalyst Control Center
    Any settings revert after you apply the change. Using the latest driver (came out today)

MSI Afterburner
    Fan Speed is locked, slider wont move.

I've read about people overclocking theirs but no one seems to mention the fan speed issue. Am I missing something here? or is everyone happy with 80C+ temps on a GPU

2. Wreckie macrumors regular

Mobile GPUs while gaming may sometimes reach up to 85-90 degrees Celsius. However, if you want to lower it, then use SMCFanControl in OSX, set the OD drive to 2000-2500 for instance, then reboot and it will keep it always over 2000-2500, if needed it adjusts itself.

3. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

I have also used SMC Fan control when gaming in Windows - I ramp the the average fan speed to around 1850RPM although, of late, I have been considering giving them a further boost to bring the temps down

4. arthursk thread starter macrumors newbie

I should have mentioned im using SMC. I've got all my fans blowing at about 2300, the fan speed for the GPU remains at 30% regardless. I have read somewhere the ODD was somehow connected to the GPU fan though, Perhaps I should I try it at 2500 and restest the temps.

5. spcdust macrumors 6502a

spcdust

Are you quoting the fan speed as reported by Catalyst Control Centre? My understanding is this is not reporting a true reflection of the actual fans speed - easy way to test would be to really ramp up ONLY the GPU's fan speed to an clearly audible level in SMC, reboot into Windows and see if the fans still going at that rate. By the way, when playing a graphics intensive game I'm never that surprised to see temperatures of 70-76C temps even with the fans turned up.

6. arthursk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this makes sense now. The ODD must be in control the GPU fans. I cranked only the ODD up and my GPU idle temp dropped well over 10°C. Will make sure to turn this one up next time I'm gaming.

Thanks!

7. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

Hey guys, I'm playing BF3 on my iMac. Should i be worried about the graphics card temp at all?

Could someone please write down a little guide on how to do it? Just converted to iMac from Windows PC. :apple:

Would be very appriciated!

8. SR20DETDOG macrumors regular

So if I change my fan speeds using SMC in OSX then reboot into Windows they stay that way? I was about to go searching for a separate program for Windows, SpeedFan or something, but if this is case I guess I don't have to.

9. arthursk thread starter macrumors newbie

@iMarvin use SMC fan control in OSX to up the fan speeds (I put mine above 2000 when gaming). Reboot into Bootcamp with fan settings on. Monitor your temps with something like GPU-Z in windows. make sure you are using the Latest Catalyst Drivers 10.11 for BF3. Add me (endspool) if you're playing online :)

@SR20DETDOG Yes SMC will keep the settings if you boot into windows. I'm quite sure there aren't any fan control options that work under windows on Bootcamp

10. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

It's the ODD that i should change? Or should i make a new profile for gaming and change everything such as CPU, ODD and HDD? :confused:

Thanks! :)

11. arthursk thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a gaming profile :

ODD 2700 (Maxed)
    HDD 2300
    CPU 2300

Playing BF3 (High/1080p) for about 3 hours max temp was around 72°C
    Imac 27" | 2GB 6970M | 16GB Ram

Cheers

12. iMarvin macrumors 6502

iMarvin

I just tried those settings for about 2 hours and my temp was a little below 60 degrees. Works super! Playing Medium/1080p btw. :)

Appreciate it a lot! Thanks man!

13. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

For a neat and time-saving tips.

Use Lubbo's Fan Control to speed up your iMac fans while ON Windows bootcamp. No longer need to access OSX, adjust smcfancontrol and reboot. That's exhausting. There's a catch though, Lubbo's fan control was designed for MBP, so there's only 2 fans control, works for CPU and GPU (ODD) fans on iMac.

On the app itself, there are 2 fans control slider, left is GPU, right is CPU for me .. yeah it's not good looking nor intuitive as smcfancontrol. But heck, it works!! Without even touch OSX.

I set my GPU on 2400rpm, and CPU on 1700rpm. Nice and cool, bit noisy though .. well better be noisy than getting toasted :)

14. arthursk thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahh, interesting find! Big time saver, thanks!