Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
This was my preferred shot out of the handful. Just my appreciation for lower lighting I guess.

Visibility was very limited with the snow, but as you see pretty far when it's a clear day.

10 sec exposure, f/11, 100 ISO...taken with Canon 24-105 f/4L

Attachments

• firetower_1.jpg
    firetower_1.jpg
    392.2 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Again but with 10 sec exposure, f/11, 250 ISO....it was snowing but it was not a heavy snow and with the long exposure it was not captured up close and gave a "fog" appearance in the backdrop as you can see.

Please feel free to critique and let me know anything I could have done differently. I cropped the photos which is the only editing I have done to give a little more pano look to the photo.

One thing I took note off was it did not want to focus unless I was at 24mm, any zoom and it just hunted. On landscape scenes as such when there is not really a certain focus point what should be used for technique? Just so that I did have a point of focus I was using the treetop you see in the center of the photo.

This camera is far beyond my ability, but I appreciate that and look forward to having a piece of equipment to grow into for many years to come.

Attachments

• firetower_2.jpg
    firetower_2.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
One more with a good comparison the exposure on this was .5 seconds f/14 ISO 160 but this was taken when I had more ambient light versus the two above that I took near dark.

Attachments

• firetower_2-2.jpg
    firetower_2-2.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 84

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Few more

Attachments

• flag4.jpg
    flag4.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 78
  • flag2.jpg
    flag2.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 86
  • flag1.jpg
    flag1.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 91

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
One more with a good comparison the exposure on this was .5 seconds f/14 ISO 160 but this was taken when I had more ambient light versus the two above that I took near dark.

Shoot RAW and AWB (automatic white balance), and with Camera Raw in CS5 or CS6, adjust the temperature and tint to remove the blue color from the snow. LightRoom should also have a RAW processor.

As long as you shoot RAW, most times the WB setting in-camera makes no difference.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Shoot RAW and AWB (automatic white balance), and with Camera Raw in CS5 or CS6, adjust the temperature and tint to remove the blue color from the snow. LightRoom should also have a RAW processor.

As long as you shoot RAW, most times the WB setting in-camera makes no difference.

good call.

Attachments

• tower5.jpg
    tower5.jpg
    554 KB · Views: 86

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Today

Attachments

• cooperball.jpg
    cooperball.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 72
  • blitz5.jpg
    blitz5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • lake2.jpg
    lake2.jpg
    504.4 KB · Views: 86

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Is the 6D really a better performer in low light than the 5DIII.

What this boils down to I just purchased the 6D, and it's a camera purchase I'm looking to be done with, and keep for the long run. I'm not looking to purchase a superior model thats released in a year or so.

I'm questioning if I should exchange the 6D for the 5DIII for the AF upgrade. What is holding me back is the reviews i've been seeing with the 6D ahead of the 5DIII....I'm not sure thats something I want to take a downgrade in.

Thoughts and comments from those who may have had/still have both and can chime in.

I also live in the northeast, harsh winters so the build quality of the 5DIII also catches my eye....but I'm not educated enough on it to know if it would make a difference in my environment.

Thanks guys.

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia

What this boils down to I just purchased the 6D, and it's a camera purchase I'm looking to be done with, and keep for the long run. I'm not looking to purchase a superior model thats released in a year or so.

I'm questioning if I should exchange the 6D for the 5DIII for the AF upgrade. What is holding me back is the reviews i've been seeing with the 6D ahead of the 5DIII....I'm not sure thats something I want to take a downgrade in.

Thoughts and comments from those who may have had/still have both and can chime in.

I also live in the northeast, harsh winters so the build quality of the 5DIII also catches my eye....but I'm not educated enough on it to know if it would make a difference in my environment.

Thanks guys.

I've toyed with the idea a few times, but the jump in price just hasn't been worth it for the extra AF points. Do I 'need' them? Nope. Not for what I'm shooting.

Do you 'need' them?
Only you can answer that. But from what I can see from your shots...I'd say 'nope'. ;)

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I've toyed with the idea a few times, but the jump in price just hasn't been worth it for the extra AF points. Do I 'need' them? Nope. Not for what I'm shooting.

Do you 'need' them?
Only you can answer that. But from what I can see from your shots...I'd say 'nope'. ;)

Yea, have to remember I'm not buying for my current experience. Buying to grow into and do not want to get 2 years down the road or even a year and wish I had those AF points.

It's a 1300.00 difference, and I'm on par with you that it's just not worth it. Im well within my return period right now so naturally it's a consuming thought.

I love the pleasing noise the 6D gives when visible...it's a very smooth aesthetic grain......Is the 5DIII the same "look" with noise?

As you can see I have a few dogs, so I guess my justification for the 5DIII is gaining that AF performance. As you can see above though, those are pretty decent shots of the 2 dogs in motion.

Another thought is the AF points, the 6D AF points require you to focus and recompose, perhaps the 5DIII hits those important areas with the AF points...such as the 3rds etc.

The build...i live in the northeast, harsh winters, I often find myself wanting to shoot in the snow/inclement weather.

Im leaning towards keeping the 6D....just making sure I've made the right choice.

Last edited:

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Yea, have to remember I'm not buying for my current experience. Buying to grow into and do not want to get 2 years down the road or even a year and wish I had those AF points.

It's a 1300.00 difference, and I'm on par with you that it's just not worth it. Im well within my return period right now so naturally it's a consuming thought.

I love the pleasing noise the 6D gives when visible...it's a very smooth aesthetic grain......Is the 5DIII the same "look" with noise?

As you can see I have a few dogs, so I guess my justification for the 5DIII is gaining that AF performance. As you can see above though, those are pretty decent shots of the 2 dogs in motion.

Another thought is the AF points, the 6D AF points require you to focus and recompose, perhaps the 5DIII hits those important areas with the AF points...such as the 3rds etc.

The build...i live in the northeast, harsh winters, I often find myself wanting to shoot in the snow/inclement weather.

Im leaning towards keeping the 6D....just making sure I've made the right choice.

I've been using mine since they came out. It's a great full frame camera, you're not going to 'outgrow' it any time soon.

As for weather conditions, I can't really help you there (I don't live in the snow). But mines held up fine from the glass of champagne that went on it the last wedding I shot, the countless bits of water I've had on it from er....more adventurous studio shoots and it's also copped a fair bit of rain.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

Thanks guys.

I don't own both bodies, but I do have a 5DIII as the 6D wasn't available when I decided to go full frame.

Both are excellent camera bodies but I would select the 5DIII again without much consideration.

I've seen 100% crops of both bodies at 25,600 ISO in dim lighting, and while the 6D does have slightly less chroma noise, both have a fair share of luminance noise and are going to need some de-noise cleanup (easily done in post) if you're a pixel peeper, and likely no adjustment if you aren't.

I think the more important factor is the focus system. To shoot a keeper in low light, you need focus. On the 6D, you get one excellent cross-type focus point in the center... but that's pretty much it. On the 5DIII you get 41 cross type focus points across the frame offering more composition options in low light without having to recompose (which can be a problem with thin DoF).

In addition, if you're shooting moving targets like wildlife or kids (same thing!) AI Servo on the 5DIII is going to work wonders, the 6D will suck in comparison.

The 5DIII also has the better weather sealing and dual card slots (one of which can be an EyeFi card for integrated WiFi).

Lately, I've seen the 5DIII advertised for as low as $2000... that's nearly half what I paid and a freakin steal. :) I think the 6D can be had for around $1200... so if you go for the 6D now, is that $800 saved or $1200 wasted. :)

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
It is not an 800 comparison in my shoes, I would be buying the 5DII that comes with the 24-105 so the price is 3699.00 as the 6D is 2399.00 with the lens...difference of 1300!

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
It is not an 800 comparison in my shoes, I would be buying the 5DII that comes with the 24-105 so the price is 3699.00 as the 6D is 2399.00 with the lens...difference of 1300!

Hmm... yeah, that's steep pricing... aren't those bodies selling for $1200 and $2000 without lens these days? Take a look at Canon Rumors, Canon Watch, and Canon Price Watch and see what kind of deals are out there. You can pickup a 24-105 for about $600 for sure. Anyway, I get your point... definitely don't compromise on more important things in life to get a better camera :)

Just don't do what I did... Over the period of 2 years, I went from a Rebel to a 7D to a 5DIII because I kept finding limitation with them. I wish I had just skipped the first two and got a 5D right away. At least you're going full frame and won't be investing in a bunch of EF-S lenses. ;)

----------

It's $800 towards the most important thing...some nice glass. :cool:

Yes, another good point.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
6D at the price its at now is a steal. It's a great camera and does amazing low light work. The center point is great if your in a situation with bad lighting, and I seem to be in that situation quite frequently lol. I've never really felt restricted cuz of the AF system even tho I hear the MIII is well beyond it. If you're shooting action theres other cameras that would be better, but even then I get a lot of my shots, and if you don't shoot crazy f1.4 aperture while something is running you should be good. Size is nice, weight is nice, if you're bread and butter is more still shots the 6D will be fine, but if you have extra money I would always advise the MIII.

Having said that i'm selling my 6D and getting a Sony A7S cuz I literally need the crazy ISO performance headroom. Even the 6D getting useable 10-12.8k ISO pictures doesnt seem to be enough for me at times:/

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
I packed up the 6D and believe I'm getting the 5DIII.

I just can't get over the AF difference, between a more usable rule of thirds with the # of AF points.... and AF for action shots.

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
Having said that i'm selling my 6D and getting a Sony A7S cuz I literally need the crazy ISO performance headroom. Even the 6D getting useable 10-12.8k ISO pictures doesnt seem to be enough for me at times:/

I packed up the 6D and believe I'm getting the 5DIII.

I just can't get over the AF difference, between a more usable rule of thirds with the # of AF points.... and AF for action shots.

Okay, you see my screen name over there <-

Here it is in action (watch Scarface if you haven't already).

You're both idiots who have their ambitions mixed up with their abilities. You don't NEED any of these features and you're making up for a lack of ability with specs.

If you can afford these 'upgrades' then good for you. But don't ever think it's the camera that makes the shot.

OP. You're about to buy a high end DSLR to take photos of dogs. Think about that for a second.

Last edited:

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012

You're both idiots who have their ambitions mixed up with their abilities. You don't NEED any of these features and you're making up for a lack of ability with specs.

If you can afford these 'upgrades' then good for you. But don't ever think it's the camera that makes the shot.

OP. You're about to buy a high end DSLR to take photos of dogs. Think about that for a second.

I respect your argument, and I also agree with you that it's reasonable to say I in no way need a camera of this caliber.

But with that said, I do not think it takes a pro photographer like yourself to make use of the AF technology jump in the 5DIII from the 6D.

It also doesn't take a pro photographer, like yourself, to open up a 5DIII box and immediately feel the difference in build. Living in an area that has 4 seasons, I look at that.

Those two qualities do not take professionals to make use of.

I will say I think your a bit harsh.

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC

That's very insulting. No one "needs" anything much beyond food, water and air. But as enthusiast photographers, we want good photos, and we want good products to capture them. By the same token, I don't NEED a Retina Macbook to type this message on, but I sure enjoy using it.

And of course the camera doesn't make the photo, but it does take the photo. And unless all you shoot are photos of the Grand Canyon at mid-day from a tripod, to take a usable photo, it must do two things accurately and consistently... auto focus and calculate the correct exposure. The latter is pretty much a commodity, however, the former is anything but a solved problem in low light or with moving subjects.

The 5DIII has one of the best auto-focus systems on the planet - nearly identical to the 1DX. So, anyone that want's more of their pictures in focus under less than ideal circumstances should want that.

It doesn't really matter if he or I have any justification whatsoever, but the fact is, there are plenty of good reasons to want the 5DIII whether you're a beginner or a seasoned National Geographic shooter, and they are not just pixie dust.

close2reality

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Just played around with it for a few and let me tell you, it's nice being able to get rule of thirds without recomposing after focus....

So many AF points.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012

Don't know why so much emphasis is being put on the word "need" but my apologies if I came off like a stoned addict needing a fix lol.

What I meant was I would really enjoy higher ISO performance than even my 6D has given me in situations. The dynamic range is also somewhat lacking in my 6D as well, which would be another useful feature in dark or no light photography. Video could be better too but that's not really part of the discussion so i'll forgo talking about that.

Either way the world is moving towards making things easier and more user friendly so a larger mass can both purchase and use things for enjoyment or creativity. This can be a bad but also very good, and I don't see why me wanting to use a camera that makes low light photography easier is a bad thing. Its good to find ways to make things work in given situations, that is a skill, but the problem with fighting high ISO is being fixed in newer cameras, no reason to torture urself.

Also the MIII focus system looks blazing fast altho i've never used it, but i've also seen lots of missed focus from it too. That's only when pixel peeping tho, prolly wouldn't be able to tell as much otherwise. Either way kinda confused how an expensive system with such a touted AF does that.

The Bad Guy

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2007
Australia
I respect your argument, and I also agree with you that it's reasonable to say I in no way need a camera of this caliber.

But with that said, I do not think it takes a pro photographer like yourself to make use of the AF technology jump in the 5DIII from the 6D.

It also doesn't take a pro photographer, like yourself, to open up a 5DIII box and immediately feel the difference in build. Living in an area that has 4 seasons, I look at that.

Those two qualities do not take professionals to make use of.

I will say I think your a bit harsh.
Harsh is how I am. Enjoy your purchase. ;)

That's very insulting. No one "needs" anything much beyond food, water and air. But as enthusiast photographers, we want good photos, and we want good products to capture them. By the same token, I don't NEED a Retina Macbook to type this message on, but I sure enjoy using it.

And of course the camera doesn't make the photo, but it does take the photo. And unless all you shoot are photos of the Grand Canyon at mid-day from a tripod, to take a usable photo, it must do two things accurately and consistently... auto focus and calculate the correct exposure. The latter is pretty much a commodity, however, the former is anything but a solved problem in low light or with moving subjects.

The 5DIII has one of the best auto-focus systems on the planet - nearly identical to the 1DX. So, anyone that want's more of their pictures in focus under less than ideal circumstances should want that.

It doesn't really matter if he or I have any justification whatsoever, but the fact is, there are plenty of good reasons to want the 5DIII whether you're a beginner or a seasoned National Geographic shooter, and they are not just pixie dust.
You can save your offence for when I start on you. Which will be shortly enough if you keep up with this over analysis of DAM / PP software.
Don't know why so much emphasis is being put on the word "need" but my apologies if I came off like a stoned addict needing a fix lol.

What I meant was I would really enjoy higher ISO performance than even my 6D has given me in situations. The dynamic range is also somewhat lacking in my 6D as well, which would be another useful feature in dark or no light photography. Video could be better too but that's not really part of the discussion so i'll forgo talking about that.

Either way the world is moving towards making things easier and more user friendly so a larger mass can both purchase and use things for enjoyment or creativity. This can be a bad but also very good, and I don't see why me wanting to use a camera that makes low light photography easier is a bad thing. Its good to find ways to make things work in given situations, that is a skill, but the problem with fighting high ISO is being fixed in newer cameras, no reason to torture urself.

Also the MIII focus system looks blazing fast altho i've never used it, but i've also seen lots of missed focus from it too. That's only when pixel peeping tho, prolly wouldn't be able to tell as much otherwise. Either way kinda confused how an expensive system with such a touted AF does that.
Nobody needs that kinda ISO. Amateurs, hobbyists or pros…you need faster glass, mate.

lJoSquaredl

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2012
Nobody needs that kinda ISO. Amateurs, hobbyists or pros…you need faster glass, mate.

I have a 50 1.4. I can drop the shutter but get motion blur and still dark, I can drop the aperture but then miss focus a lot or just more thin DOF than I want, I want the ability to crank the ISO too that's all. I can do it on my 6D, I can do it better on an A7S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.