Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
There was lots of talk in the past about color screens. It happened. Photos. It happened. Videos. It happened.

What's left, other than improvements on existing things (music, videos, photos, better screen, smaller, etc?)

People haven't really come up with other "here's what it needs" things (other than radio and satellite radio) other than improvements in battery, durability, etc. Apple doesn't seem to want to put in radio (they can be made so small, if Apple wanted they could easily be put in by now), and satellite doesn't seem to be an option.

What really, then, are they going to do to the iPod next, any ideas?

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
if the video takes off and people watch video then they will make a bigger screen and maybe movies. But first they need to have more tv shows with more networks like NBC and fox so i can get my SVU and family guy fix

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
. . .

. . .

"What new things can they do, instead of just improving things they already have?"

"They can improve this thing they already have."

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
did u ever think that when the ipod came out, it would be where its at today with video and the nano of the size of it. I"m sure apple will come up with something

Atlasland

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2005
London, UK
BLUETOOTH (including wirless headphones)

BATTERY LIFE (also for the wireless headphones)

MOVIES (I mean full length features & the associated storage)

THIS WILL HAPPEN PEOPLE... SOMEDAY

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
1.) I know you mentioned it, but durability. This is the biggest issue today.
2.) Bigger screen with equal or better battery life.
3.) Possibly an innovative new user interface to allow for the bigger screen.
4.) An improved GUI, maybe incorporating 3D graphics.
5.) No Satellite radio or FM/AM radio.
6.) No integrated digital camera.

fklehman

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2005
Newark, DE
Bigger hard drive--let's get up to 80GB, 100GB, etc. I know that seems overkill for a lot of people, but I've got 52GB of music in my 4G 60GB and it's getting a little cramped.

Wireless syncing would be nice (Airport, Bluetooth, whatever), and I've read about a wireless charging system employing magnetic induction or something like that that sounds awesome. Imagine being able to drop your iPod, mobile, PSP, everything onto a single pad that charges all of it at once. That would just rock. Again, that's just my own thing, I'm a sucker for wireless. I hate cables. But the thread is a wish list, so...my 2c.

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
fklehman said:
Bigger hard drive--let's get up to 80GB, 100GB, etc.

You know for sure that would be something that will be in the new ipods, but I would like to see bluetooth and some different colors.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
pdpfilms said:
1.) I know you mentioned it, but durability. This is the biggest issue today.
2.) Bigger screen with equal or better battery life.
3.) Possibly an innovative new user interface to allow for the bigger screen.
4.) An improved GUI, maybe incorporating 3D graphics.
5.) No Satellite radio or FM/AM radio.
6.) No integrated digital camera.

How is "No Radio" or "No camera" a feature exactly? :p

Durability defiantly. I say bring back the minis anodised aluminium case with the same form factor as the iPod now and include different colours. I've wanted this since the 3rd gen!

Up the hard drive capacity when they can and try and keep the battery life to the standards of the 60 gig.

I don't think I'd like to see the screen get much bigger.

crazyjoeda

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2005
Vancouver
Battery!!!

I just got the video iPod but if you watch one 30min show ur battery is almost half gone. I hope a battery pack comes out so I can be entertained on a plane. I would almost rather have seen the iPod a tad bigger with better battery. I find the screen size fine, its mostly for music anyway.

EGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 4, 2003
crazyjoeda said:
Battery!!!

I just got the video iPod but if you watch one 30min show ur battery is almost half gone. I hope a battery pack comes out so I can be entertained on a plane. I would almost rather have seen the iPod a tad bigger with better battery. I find the screen size fine, its mostly for music anyway.

The battery indicator is notoriously inaccurate. Although, I think it's got a little better as the iPods have been updated.

I also dislike the idea of a user replaceable battery. If it's user replaceable its user loss-able. (doh :eek: )

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
I hope they dont make only one 'iPod' with a HUGE screen for moives, perhaps a specail iPod for ful length moives.

They need radio FM cuz im not paying for Satilite Radio, it dump. Perhaps high storeage and smaller case, less scratchable cases, more Nano colors

Black iPod Shuffle

Can't see way people are anti to FREE FM radio, just don't use it if you don't want it!

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
More durable - maybe an all brushed metal model - pro model.

BT/Wireless headphones with controls, maybe phone link option and iPod pauses when any calls occur.

Better bigger screen - one day a touch screen and a PDA...

dan-o-mac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
snowmoon said:
? The unit can already do 640x360 decoding and playback.

Sorry, I was going by the original Apple specs. I did some research and it looks like your right.

Ars Technica has taken a look inside the new iPod. It uses the new Broadcom BCM2722 chip, which was just announced yesterday. This chip can decode MPEG4 video up to 640×480, but H.264 video only up to 352×288. Apple rates the iPod at 480×480 MPEG4 and 320×240 H.264.”

bankshot

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2003
Southern California
I have only one request, and I will only say it once here (some people seem to get irritated when I talk about it).

Instead of cramming new features in, let's have an iPod with better music capabilities. GAPLESS playback, please! Do it for the real music lovers, Steve, please! Show us that Apple isn't turning into just another faceless corporation that only cares about money and making the minimum quality product that will sell to the masses.

The lack of gapless playback is a huge blemish on an otherwise flawless listening experience. Why are people who prefer listening to albums, just as they would sound on an any CD player, second-class citizens in Apple's music market? I thought Apple was where you go for better quality and attention to details. It's ridiculous that Apple professes to be a bunch of music lovers, yet this irritation which would seriously annoy any true music lover, is designed into every music player (software or hardware) that they make. Even more ridiculous that it can be solved in numerous easy ways, and it was never an issue with CD players from 20 years ago which were far less advanced.

I'm probably stupid because I am fully willing to pay for this feature in a new iPod. I know it can be done in every iPod back to the first generation with a simple firmware update (This workaround is about 80% there; just needs a few tweaks to treat the chapters as individual songs), but I'm desperate enough to let Apple make that a new-iPod feature only. This is your opportunity to impress music lovers and make even more money, Apple! :rolleyes:

Sorry for the rant, and I won't take any more of your time. :eek:

DarkNetworks

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2005
Ja Di ksw said:
There was lots of talk in the past about color screens. It happened. Photos. It happened. Videos. It happened.

What's left, other than improvements on existing things (music, videos, photos, better screen, smaller, etc?)

People haven't really come up with other "here's what it needs" things (other than radio and satellite radio) other than improvements in battery, durability, etc. Apple doesn't seem to want to put in radio (they can be made so small, if Apple wanted they could easily be put in by now), and satellite doesn't seem to be an option.

What really, then, are they going to do to the iPod next, any ideas?

Well, i dunno...i said once that Apple introduced the video way too fast...i thought they would take it a bit slow maybe released it next year but obviously they didn't...so i dunno whats gonna come out in the 6G iPods...it would be pretty lame if they make it like wht...bigger screen...bigger flash capacity and all that rubbish..i don't think thats wht i would want for if that's the 6G iPods...

bepster

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2005
haven't thought about this gapless-thing, but sure... you got a point!

I am sure, it's just me, but I was really interested in this PSP machine, before I knew that there would be an ipod this video out there!

so now I sold my (brand new 4th generation) and ordered the 5th instead!

we got video, wouldn't it be great to have some cool games as well?
maybe apple could co-work with another gameproducer who is pushing into the portable market which is totaly controled by nintendo and now sony??

I would like that, with a joypad? would be cool to not only watch movies on tv but also play games??

yeah...

Benjamindaines

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2005
A religiously oppressed state
bloody hell the new ipod just came out and you guys are already talking about the next one. But any how i definitely want 30+ hours of battery life right now thats all I care about. Oh yes and I WANT FIREWIRE BACK!!!!!! [insert yelling smilie]. Removing the remote connector was pretty dumb... now i have to buy a new iTrip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.