6g iPods?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by magicjames92, Aug 7, 2007.

1. magicjames92 macrumors regular

When will they come out? predictions? inside sources? upcoming events that may reveal them? im very anxious.

2. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

See other threads for more opinions but many (including myself) believe updates should be coming in September.

3. hatcher146 macrumors 6502

everyone seems to think september is the month. hopefully early sept. or whenever the special "iPod deal" is over. i personally cant wait any longer for the 6G iPod. i have a 3G iPod that is yearning to be replaced. it will come september. i hope the new iPod is touchscreen. it has to be. also if it had wifi that would be awesome too but i seriously am doubting that.

COME ON SEPTEMBER!!!!!......:p:apple:

4. JDN macrumors 6502a

Quick question:

Obviously flash drives are not at the stage yet to replace the 80Gb iPod so when these new iPod's do come out is there any chance they will be thinner than the current ones?

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

there's always the possibility, especially considering every new generation of ipod has been thinner than the one before. however, there is such a thing as too thin, and i think the ipod's getting close to that line.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

The back to school iPod promo ends on the 16th of September so the clock starts ticking...

7. ds252 macrumors regular

Given that the promo ends on september 16th are iPods released on a tuesday like DVDs or can it be anyday. Hopefully we see it on the 18th then because i cannot wait hopefully when school starts up again the days will go quicker since my mind will be elsewhere.

8. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

my bet is on late september/early october. that is when the updates have come for the past two years.

it's possible that the "full-size" iPods (the current 30GB and 80GB models) will get upgraded to larger HDDs. obviously flash storage exceeding 16GB is prohibitively expensive at this time, so you won't see an 80GB flash drive.

what i would like to know is whether Apple plans on keeping the current "video" iPod or will they replace that with the "phoneless iPhone" iPod? if they replace it, will the "phoneless iPhone" iPod have a flash drive or an HDD? if flash, that significantly limits the storage capacity. if HDD, will it run as smoothly as the iPhone? i imagine the iPhone runs so smoothly is partly because the hard drive doesn't have to spin up every time you want to do something.

anyhow, i think sept/oct. it's all very exciting.

9. magicjames92 thread starter macrumors regular

i dont care if its flash, i dont need much space, my macbook hd is only 80 gigs

10. clinto89 macrumors newbie

clinto89

I would like iPhone like touch screen and the body style of the 5 gen. or the iPhone body style. Also if possible it would be nice to have and 60 gig or 80 gig model that was as thin as the 5.5 gen 30 gig.

11. nlivo macrumors 6502a

i found this on the internet which i think i would be very happy with as an iPod.....also it needs a camera...

[​IMG]

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

The iPod has no need for a camera whatsoever (and I doubt you'll ever see one on an iPod, especially next gen. Right now that is still a phone thing.

13. btaussie macrumors member

btaussie

With the threat of new services such as gBox and the potential withdrawal of services from Universal Music Group I think it's time Apple begins to 'push the envelope' and deliver something completely extraordinary to blow the competition away. Here's my suggestions:

- With every new 6G iPod Video sold a $30 iTunes gift card is given. Think about it. How many people do you know that own any type of iPod but still use services like Limewire to get their music? Why not give them a taste of the beauty of the iTunes music store so that all customers realise the benefits and elegance of legally purchased music/TV shows/movies? Then if they buy a nano, a $20 card perhaps and a $5 card for the shuffle. Just a suggestion.

- Secondly, and this is something I thought about when I was taking a computer marketing class the other day. When Apple was first introducing the iTunes store many years ago, they partnered with Pepsi to giveaway song credits under specially marked Pepsi bottles. Well with the introduction of Diet Coke Plus, why not revive the promotion but instead of credits, free ring-tones, to be sold through iTunes store?!

- Integrate the iTunes store in Apple TV. It makes sense, preview a trailer of a movie on your widescreen TV would more than anything entice people to buy.

- Have buy one get one free songs or something to that effect.

- Give iTunes gift cards away to all new MacBook, MacBook pros, iMacs & Mac Pros! Get people to use the system even more!!

- How about the iTunes store on your iPhone?! Purchase items from your store, saves on your iPhone, synch on your Mac/PC?!

- Couple music videos with songs in one purchase. Or better still, for a limited time only, download this song and get the music video free!!

- Integrate iTunes into MySpace and Facebook better! Make a profile or something in both networks and sell the hell out of it. Think of who uses these services, it's a goldmine that no real service has monopolized.

Anyhow, hope some of the ideas people might like. There's my two cents.

Cheers,
    -Ben.

14. ds252 macrumors regular

In order to do these things on itunes you would need to sign up with a credit card and for many people they don't want to bother with it.

15. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

My guess? September 25 at the Apple Expo in Paris. Or whenever the keynote is that week.

16. btaussie macrumors member

btaussie

Then maybe Apple needs to mix up there tactics and allow accounts that don't need a credit card, rather just iTunes card credits if that's the case...

17. sam10685 macrumors 68000

sam10685

How many new wide screen ipods have come in that time? ("new" doesn't include updated HD or software.)

18. pengu macrumors 6502a

um, no thanks. i dont use the iTMS and i dont plan to, ever. i don't want apple adding $30 to the cost of my ipod, mbp or anything else for that matter. if they can give a $30 iTMS card, then they can give ME the $30 in the form of a discount.

19. btaussie macrumors member

btaussie

Fair enough, then how about, if you buy an iPod, add an extra $10 to the cost and get a $30 iTMS card? Or make it a promotion, that the price is always going to be what it is but the iTunes card is just an extra for a limited time. Anyways, my two cents once again.

20. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Must be before Christmas...so avoid October and Leopard release...Mmm. Yeah September would be very nice. Or November for Christmas must have gift...

21. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

Like I said way too many times earlier, I think we'll have the following:

1. The new models arrive September 18, 2007--almost exactly one year after the current models come out.

2. The iPod shuffle will likely be replaced by a new model with 1 GB or 2 GB of RAM with a small LCD display--it will be slightly larger than the current shuffle by can still use the current shuffle dock. The 1 GB model costs US$80 and the 2 GB model costs US$100.

3. The current iPod nano will probably continue, with the 2 GB model dropped, 4 GB model becoming the low end model with only silver as case color, 8 GB model becoming the mainstream model (but with up to ten different case colors, including those introduced on the current shuffle), and a new 16 GB model in black and red only. The 4 GB model costs US$150, 8 GB model costs US$200, and 16 GB model costs US$250.

4. We'll see a new intermediate model with a squarish box design and a new, small widescreen display that can play videos (but still maintain the current Click Wheel interface). It will offer either 8 GB or 16 GB of flash memory storage. The 8 GB model costs US$250 and 16 GB model costs US$300.

5. The 5.5G video iPod gets replaced by a new high-end model in the same shape as the current 5.5G model, but it now has a widescreen display that covers the top of the unit. The interface is either iPhone style or a virtual Click Wheel, all operated touchscreen style. It will offer 60 GB and 100 GB storage capacities on a small hard disk drive. The 60 GB model costs US$350 and the 100 GB model costs US$400.

22. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

September is a good call (I hope) because I've been waiting to buy a 6G iPod for it seems to be ages.

23. Boulderer2001 macrumors member

I just want a bigger hard drive and a bigger screen. With movies growing in popularity we will need more space and a bigger screen. Watching the screen on my ipod can be painful at times.

24. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a