6GB/8GB Macbook Pro 9400M Problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewedwards, Jun 28, 2009.

1. andrewedwards macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 15inch MBP 2.8Ghz 5,3 (unibody with SD slot, up-to 8GB ram).

I've purchased a single 4GB module from Crucial but cannot get the machine to act stable when running with the 9400M onboard graphics selected (as opposed to the faster, dedicated 9600).

This is based on removing a factory supplied 2GB and replacing with the 4GB to give a total of 6GB.

The screen exhibits random quick flashes of corruption in small areas and then eventually the system experiences a kernel panic after 5-10 minutes.

There seems something about this 4GB module and the 9400M, I'm guessing as it shares the system RAM as opposed to having its own.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I was thinking of getting another 4GB module to have a matched pair of 8GB but it would be an expensive experiment if it doesn't solve it.

Thanks in advance, Andrew.

2. Goettel macrumors member

To me it looks like your 4GB chip is bad as it acts as video ram for the 9400. That would explain the video glitches and the KP. I bet if you let it run with the 9600GT you would also end up crashing. You can use the Apple Hardware Test or Memtest (google it) to check the memory.

3. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

4. andrewedwards thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I ran memtest and it did show up a couple of errors, not sure how significant they were. Number of errors didn't seem to correlate the the massive effect it had on stability. Although I'm no hardware expert :)

I've RMA'd the module and will probably replace with a 8GB matched kit.