6Gb iPhone data plan on new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RafMac, Mar 14, 2012.

1. RafMac macrumors regular

Can you still use existing 6Gb iPhone data with new iPad?
    By taking out micro-sim card from the iPhone 4 and inserting to the new iPad and use 3G and LTE data but not make calls. Don't mind swapping sims once in a while.

I was told by Rogers store employee that they use same micro-sim cards for the LTE data.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

There are new micro-sims that support LTE. Just get a new one for your phone, and you'll be all set if you put it in your iPad.

3. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Good advice.

What is the AT&T policy on this? Do they do something to your account if you stick an Unlimited iPhone SIM in the iPad?

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

AT&T does some weird things (Used to use them when I lived in the States), so I wouldn't be surprised if they did some sort of IMEI check or something.

Here in Canada, the carriers don't really care what device their SIM is in, as long as it either a) part of their lineup, or b) an unlocked device. iPad falls under b, so it won't matter what SIM is in it, as long as it has data attached.

5. RafMac thread starter macrumors regular

I hope so as I am not a heavy data user as it is impossible for me to use all this on iphone 4, I pay for 6gb anyway.

6. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

As a Rogers employee who actually knows what he's talking about, I can guarantee you it will work. I've done the same thing with lots of customers wanting to do that.

I myself will get an actual data plan for my iPad, but only because I get a discount. :D

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

8. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

9. Grease2310 macrumors member

You don't even need to swap sims if you'll have the iPhone with you anyway just turn it into a personal hotspot in your settings app and the iPad can connect to it via wifi and use it's data. Saves you even needing to buy the 4G version.

10. RafMac thread starter macrumors regular

Yes but that would be on 3G network, if I swap the card I heard it will access LTE network where available as it is backward compatible to 3G to, of course as per Steve Jobs quote, "Slow balls EDGE network".

11. RafMac thread starter macrumors regular

Looks like my new ipad arrives on Friday but the micro-sim card comes on Wednesday in separate shipment. My Rogers iPhone 4 micro-sim card better work for data only with this new ipad.

12. Grease2310 macrumors member

You'd need an LTE sim to get on LTE and the iPhone 4S is not LTE.

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I'm waiting for all the woe is me stories on LTE plan overages.

Tests here show you can use a 4gb data plan up in about 8 minutes :)