6gb of RAM in a white MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Niv Mizzet, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Niv Mizzet macrumors newbie

2. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

2 of the product you linked makes 4 GB. I believe that's the maximum supported amount.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

The maximum supported officially is 4GB, but you can use 6GB in the MacBook and it will work fine.

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

I wasn't aware of that. What the earliest macbook that can handle 6 GB?

But is it really worth it, considering the huge price tag and the loss of dual channel memory acces? I wouldn't have though so.

5. Niv Mizzet thread starter macrumors newbie

That still does not answer my question. Let me re-ask; How do I set up the RAM so that I have 6gb and it is installed in an optimal way with that particular hardware ?

6. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You would need to get a 4gb ram stick and a 2gb one, preferably both from the same company. As the MacBook only has 2 slots for ram.

7. phoang1988 macrumors newbie

doesnt the white macbook only support 4gb? meaning that anything more and it will just recognize as 4gb?

8. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

OP, why would you need 6GB, is there a certain program that needs all that RAM? Adding 6GB could make your macbook unstable and prone to crashes. I have 4GB in my uMB and I couldn't see why I would need any more, even when using memory intensive programs. I would just go to macsales.com and order 2x2GB RAM sticks for the white macbook. This should be plenty for just regular use and will be a lot cheaper.