6gb of Ram in Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by waffles123, Aug 29, 2009.

1. waffles123 macrumors regular

Hi, I have a Late 08 Unibody MBP, and I ordered 6gb (one 2gb and one 4gb) of Ram from OWC to install with Snow Leopard (super fast kitty :p). So first I installed Snow Leopard with my orignal 2gb of Ram, and it was fine. Then, I installed the 6gb of Ram and it booted up fine and I checked "About this Mac" and it said "6gb of ddr3 ram" or something like that. So I thought all was well. After that, I was transferring some large files from an external HD over to my Mac (clean install), so I went to have some lunch. I came back, and to my surprise, (I must have had a minor heart attack), I find this:

[​IMG].

Omg. So I thought maybe it was the Ram, or maybe it was Snow Leopard. So I restarted my computer and 15 minutes later, I got it again. So I thought it must be the Ram. I reinstalled my 2gb of Ram, and it has been fine ever since. (about 5 hours). So my question is, for anyone that has 6gb of Ram in their Macs, does 6gb of Ram work in Snow Leopard? (Remember, I have a late 08 MBP which is only officially supported up to 4gb.) On the other hand, maybe I received bad sticks of Ram. After all, when I received it in the mail, the sticks were not protected enough because I heard them rattling in their plastic cases. (They sounded like maracas. :p) I called OWC about this and they said it should be fine, but they filed a report for me. So what do you think it is? Bad sticks of Ram or Snow Leopard does not support 6gb of Ram in my computer? Thanks for reading all of this :)

2. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

You should never install more RAM than the computer can handle.

3. waffles123 thread starter macrumors regular

4. LEStudios macrumors 6502

LEStudios

What was wrong with using 4GB? You will have less problems. :rolleyes:

5. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

If I were a betting man, I'd say the RAM is bad.

6. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

Oh, how so?

I upgraded from 4 to 6 and that improved things considerably for me. You can never have too much RAM. :)

7. waffles123 thread starter macrumors regular

So...has anyone tested 6gb of ram in snow leopard with an "unsupported" Mac? Because I need to call OWC soon ;)

8. msevild macrumors regular

Why don't you try using the 4GB chip by itself? If the computer kernel panics, the stick is bad, if it works chalk it up to firmware/OS and ram incompatibilities at this point.

9. LEStudios macrumors 6502

LEStudios

What kind of memory is it I had problem with Kingston! :(

10. jmurdog macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I just want to let all of you know, been looking thru all the posts on here and I can honestly say I just recently purchased from OWC the 4GB and 2GB set which is DDR2 800mhz chips, which 1 goes in slot 1 and the other goes in slot 2 for $175 which gives me 6GB of RAM. I have Snow Leopard installed on my computer 10.6 with the new memory that I recently installed. I have from what I have seen noticed a huge difference in overall use of the IMAC. I should say I have a 24" IMAC, 6GB RAM, showing all page outs as zero, which is what you want, otherwise if your seeing high numbers in your page outs, this can be an indication your computer is maximizing its resources, which would be time for an upgrade to more memory. Contrary to what Apple states about only upgrading to a maximum of 4GB RAM, you can go as high as 6GB RAM on a mid-2008 machine. Please keep in mind, this worked for me, their is no guarantee this will work for others out there, who own a MAC. I just know for myself, this was the best thing I could have done for my MAC. Hope this information helps anyone who is looking to upgrade their memory and really what you can do with your MAC and maximizing all resources as possible. Keep in mind if you go over 8GB RAM on a early or mid-2008 IMAC, this could jeopardize the operating system, causing it to be unstable as well as damaging your IMAC.

11. tempusfugit macrumors 65816