6gb of ram in SR Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Groovsonic, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Groovsonic macrumors regular

Hey everybody!
    So my trusty blackbook is getting a little long in the tooth (ok, its less than 2 years old, but still...) and I was getting the itch to get something new...

BUT that costs a lot of money, so I'm thinking of upgrading my current machine a little. I have a 2.2 ghz "late 2007" black macbook. I have 4gb of ram, and a (upgraded) 7200rpm 320 gb hd. I'm thinking of swapping out the hd for a SSD early next year, but for now, I was reading that it was possible to put 6gb of ram in my laptop, even though only 4gb is technically supported.

Has anyone done this, and were you happy with the results? Did you notice a hit from losing "dual channel"?

(ps, the reason I have found sudden resolve not to buy a new laptop is because my job is supplying me with a quad-core 27in iMac...yeehaw!)

Thanks!

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I think the 6GB isn't possible... But the SSD would speed your MacBook up a lot, you should get it, but it is expensive for a smaller drive than you have now...

3. JMP macrumors member

JMP

6Gb is perfectly possible. My friend has done it on his late 2007 SR Macbook and it works fine. No performance loss.
    I'm thinking about doing it myself as I have the same white SR MB with 4Gb of RAM and an updated 320Gb/7200 Seagate HD. But it's still expensive... for me... :(

4. JohnnyinLA310 macrumors newbie

what is SR macbook?... I also have this supposed macbook "SR" and will want to upgrade to 6GB's later

5. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Would 6GB make a lot of difference? Because when I get my MacBook Pro with 4GB in it I'm wondering if I should later upgrade it to 8GB (its supported on MBP)

6. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

If you multitask a lot with a bunch of memory hungry programs or use VMs, 6GB can help.
    But I think most people don't need more then 4GB.

7. Groovsonic thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry... SR is referring to Santa Rosa, which I believe refers to the chipset that is in this generation of macbook.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

All Santa Rosa-based Macs can take 6 gb of RAM. This includes MacBooks, MacBook Pros and iMacs.

9. kazkom macrumors newbie

can i upgrade my white macbook to 4 gb?

Can i upgrade my white macbook to 4gb of ram? thought only 2 gb was possible.

10. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Without knowing the model number of your MB, no one can tell you.