6Gb or 8Gb RAM

glassbathroom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
London
Here a question on memory. I am planning on buying a new 12 core mac. I can afford to go for much memory and don't need it anyway. I was going for the base 6Gb (6 x 1Gb units). I am wondering if it's worth going for the 8Gb (4 x 2Gb), as it is likely to be only a little bit extra money. This leaves more space for more memory if I decide to upgrade later.

My question is does it help to spread the memory out in 1Gb units, or does it not matter if I go with (4x2gGb). Discounting the extra 2Gb, is 6x1Gb better than 3x2Gb?

rajbonham

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2010
This guy can afford to drop $5,000 on a Mac Pro, but can't spend a lot of money on RAM? What alternate universe am I in? Surely I'm not understanding this right??

glassbathroom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
London
This guy can afford to drop $5,000 on a Mac Pro, but can't spend a lot of money on RAM? What alternate universe am I in? Surely I'm not understanding this right??
Give me a break! I need the cores for 3D rendering. Extra memory is little help here. Just because I am already spending a lot doesn't mean I have money to burn. Grow up.

rajbonham

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2010
Give me a break! I need the cores for 3D rendering. Extra memory is little help here. Just because I am already spending a lot doesn't mean I have money to burn. Grow up.
Okay, okay, I guess I was a little rude in my reply. :eek: If you ask me, you can never go wrong with extra RAM.

glassbathroom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
London
Okay, okay, I guess I was a little rude in my reply. :eek: If you ask me, you can never go wrong with extra RAM.
Thanks for this. I appreciate it.

You are probably right but I have kind of reached my limit on money and I can always add RAM later (cheaper than from Apple)

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
If you don't need more than 6GB, then just get 6... It will perform slightly better in tri-channel mode (3 DIMMS per CPU) than in dual-channel which is what you get with only 2 DIMMS per CPU.

glassbathroom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
London
If you don't need more than 6GB, then just get 6... It will perform slightly better in tri-channel mode (3 DIMMS per CPU) than in dual-channel which is what you get with only 2 DIMMS per CPU.
Hi VirtualRain,

Thanks for this. I thought that might be the case. There would still be enough room to easily expand to 10Gb later. I will have a think about it.

gaspra

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2008
Hi VirtualRain,

Thanks for this. I thought that might be the case. There would still be enough room to easily expand to 10Gb later. I will have a think about it.
I am using additional 4GB Patriot ECC memory in my early 2009 mac pro. It works flawlessly with the other 6GB Apple memory. Only costed me $110 for the upgrade.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I am using additional 4GB Patriot ECC memory in my early 2009 mac pro. It works flawlessly with the other 6GB Apple memory. Only costed me $110 for the upgrade.
Patriot also offers ECC DDR3 1333 RAM modules. I wonder if this will be the only option on launch day for the new Mac Pro. I don't think OWC has these modules yet.

glassbathroom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 6, 2004
London
Hey Guys,

Many thanks for all the advice. I have stuck with the base 6Gb. Apple are charging £120 more for the extra 2Gb to take it to 8Gb. As I can get 4Gb for that (Crucial), I thought I would save my money for now.

I may have to swap out some or all of the 1Gb modules at some point, but by that time RAM will have reduced further in price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.