6Gb or 8Gb RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by glassbathroom, Aug 8, 2010.

1. glassbathroom macrumors 6502

Here a question on memory. I am planning on buying a new 12 core mac. I can afford to go for much memory and don't need it anyway. I was going for the base 6Gb (6 x 1Gb units). I am wondering if it's worth going for the 8Gb (4 x 2Gb), as it is likely to be only a little bit extra money. This leaves more space for more memory if I decide to upgrade later.

My question is does it help to spread the memory out in 1Gb units, or does it not matter if I go with (4x2gGb). Discounting the extra 2Gb, is 6x1Gb better than 3x2Gb?

2. Ravich macrumors 6502a

It does not sound like you have any reason to be buying a 12 core Mac Pro. What are you going to use it for?

3. rajbonham macrumors 6502

This guy can afford to drop $5,000 on a Mac Pro, but can't spend a lot of money on RAM? What alternate universe am I in? Surely I'm not understanding this right??

4. glassbathroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Give me a break! I need the cores for 3D rendering. Extra memory is little help here. Just because I am already spending a lot doesn't mean I have money to burn. Grow up.

5. rajbonham macrumors 6502

Okay, okay, I guess I was a little rude in my reply. :eek: If you ask me, you can never go wrong with extra RAM.

6. glassbathroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for this. I appreciate it.

You are probably right but I have kind of reached my limit on money and I can always add RAM later (cheaper than from Apple)

7. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

If you don't need more than 6GB, then just get 6... It will perform slightly better in tri-channel mode (3 DIMMS per CPU) than in dual-channel which is what you get with only 2 DIMMS per CPU.

8. glassbathroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi VirtualRain,

Thanks for this. I thought that might be the case. There would still be enough room to easily expand to 10Gb later. I will have a think about it.

9. gaspra macrumors member

I am using additional 4GB Patriot ECC memory in my early 2009 mac pro. It works flawlessly with the other 6GB Apple memory. Only costed me $110 for the upgrade.

10. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Patriot also offers ECC DDR3 1333 RAM modules. I wonder if this will be the only option on launch day for the new Mac Pro. I don't think OWC has these modules yet.

11. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Buy the 8GB for now. Then you have slots free incase you do end up wanting to upgrade, this way you don't have to buy a whole new set of RAM

12. highdefw macrumors 6502

Grab the 8gb unless your positive you won't upgrade in the future, which I doubt...

13. glassbathroom thread starter macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

Many thanks for all the advice. I have stuck with the base 6Gb. Apple are charging £120 more for the extra 2Gb to take it to 8Gb. As I can get 4Gb for that (Crucial), I thought I would save my money for now.

I may have to swap out some or all of the 1Gb modules at some point, but by that time RAM will have reduced further in price.