Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MyDesktopBroke

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Before I start, here's a little back story. My MBP is a late '08 2.53ghz with 4gbs of RAM, 9600 card, 5400rpm hard drive. It's also a refurbished model. Every since I got it I've been paranoid (despite the assurance that Apple's refurb program it excellent) that parts of the computer are now functioning at full potential, specifically the 9600 graphics card.

I don't use the computer for games that much, and when I do, the 9400 is usually enough for Halo, Jedi Knight, etc. However I keep seeing videos like this where the 9600 performs better than I can ever get it to.

For example, I have Bioshock 1 on a Windows 7 bootcamp partition, which always runs the 9600. To play with a frame rate averaging around 30 I have to scale the resolution down to around 1280x800 or 1024x768. Now I see that some one is playing Bioshock 2 at the same frame rate I play 1 at.

So, here're my questions.

In the video I linked to, the MBP has a 3.06ghz processor with a 7200 rpm HD. How much does that contribute to gameplay? I remember hearing those things only sped up loading times.

How much would putting 6gb of ram in my '08 MBP increase performance, if any? According to barefeats, it doesn't really help at all.

I also remember hearing that more RAM wouldn't help the 9600 because it's a mobility card - it has internal restrictions had increasing ghz, HD rpm, or RAM won't help.

Is it possible that my 9600 is defective due to it being a refurbished part? How could I check?

TY for reading.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
6GB RAM will not speed up your gaming performance, as almost no game is able to address so much RAM.

Maybe you have to tweak your settings in the game a bit or try a newer DirectX version. Do you still have warranty on that Mac? If so, why don't you make an appointment with the Apple Store or any other Apple Authorized shop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.