6GB Ram

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JamesGorman, Dec 20, 2009.

1. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Anyone running 6Gb of ram in their unibody macbooks? And if so, how stable is it when your using all of the 6gigs?

Thanks.

2. Narco220 macrumors regular

I'd also like to know this as i have the same macbook and thought it was limited to 4gb?

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...unofficially, they support 6GB but then you'd lose dual channel speed (in favor of 2 more GB of RAM)... 4GB RAM chips are still very expensive... do you have 4 GB currently installed?

If you do, how many page outs does your activity monitor show?

If you're not showing many/any page outs, 6GB of RAM may be a waste of $$ for you...

4. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I know there is a little loss of speed, but nothing that your really going to notice anyway. Also, I do not currently have 4Gb installed, but when I upgrade my ram Id rather do it all in one sweep, and just up it to 6 already.

5. k2spitfire88 macrumors 6502

I was wondering the same thing. The loss of the dual channel speed concerns me slightly, but does anyone have any knowledge of how that will affect the system? What kind of boosts will the system receive in 4GB vs 6GB? Even with the loss of the dual channel speed, is the 6GB still a better buy?

6. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I was just reading a lil wiki on the site actually, I cant find it right now, but it was saying something about the system being able to do the equivalent of a software style dual channel mode. Which means that even though you dont have matched pairs, the system can still use some of the advantages that matched pairs would give you. I believe this means that if you were using, say, 6GB, (2GB+4GB), you would be able to have dual channel for the first 4GB of ram, after that, when the other 2GB were needed, you would not be able to have all the features of dual channel for that additional 2GB. I also read that the speed difference is not noticeable at all, and that if the need for that much ram is there, it outweighs having just 4GB with full dual channel support.

I just want someone who is currently using 6GB of ram to confirm this, and talk about how reliable the system is or isnt, with the 6Gigs installed.

7. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Q: Do I have to use matched memory modules?
    A: No. Modern laptop chipsets do asymmetric dual channel, which essentially gives you all the benefits of dual channel RAM with unmatched modules. There is a slight decrease in memory speed with unmatched modules, but it is on the order of a few percent and you will probably never notice it in real-world use.

8. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...with the current prices on 4GB RAM modules, the benefits are probably outweighed by the cost to have a total of 6GB RAM in your MBP unless you have $$ to burn IMHOP...

9. wannabeartist macrumors newbie

Hello,

Where do you get the specs for an "old" macbook - like max memory?

I have a Macbook with a model identifier 5,2 and the text in the back of says 2007. It has 2GB now, but how do I know how much it can use?

10. Aadhil macrumors regular

With snow leopard I think the max ram limit is 8GBs

11. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Different models have different limitations.

12. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Yea, I kind of get that thought sometimes too, but I may have to go for it. I probably wont buy for a little while, and hopefully they can come down in price a little bit first.

13. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I was just on the canadian apple store, and I found 4GB modules for 220 dollars. These are the cheapest I have ever seen them. Aren t they usually at least twice that much?

Attached Files:

14. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

That's because that is 4gigs total, 2x 2gig sticks.

15. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Lol..stupid me, I looked for that And i swore to myself that it was a single sodimm..****

16. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...that would have been a hella deal if it was for a 1x4GB stick, even with the USD to CAD conversion:D

17. JamesGorman thread starter macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

No doubt lol, I was super excited when I saw it. Too bad I jumped the gun a little bit.

Merry Christmas,
    James