6Gbps SATA card in 2010 Mac Pro (and booting?)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by darwin022, Aug 10, 2010.

1. darwin022 macrumors regular

I'm going to be ordering a new 6core 3.33GHz Mac Pro this week and I'm trying to figure out the other bits and pieces I'll need for it. I've been using a C300 256GB SSD in my i7 gaming box, hooked up to 6Gbps SATA and it's GREAT. Steve:apple: apparently decided to limit the Mac Pro again this time to 3Gbps SATA. Yes, I know, there are only 1 or 2 drives on the market that can take advantage of 6Gbps... the C300 is one of them. I'd rather not have to go through the trouble of setting up another RAID array as a boot drive this time around in the new Mac Pro, it's like effort getting everything to work. It'd be better overall to just get another C300 or similar SSD setup for a boot drive and be done with it. The problem is, they take a pretty big performance hit when used in 3Gbps mode. So....

Does anyone know of a 6Gbps internal SATA card that works in the 2010 Mac Pros or 2009's (because the compatibility should be about the same)? Even better, one that is easy to boot with. I'm not very concerned about mounting it in the stock drive sleds, it's a small enough drive that I'll find a place for it. RAID would be awesome but not really necessary at the moment, after putting together this box, it'll be a while before I can afford more than 1.

#0thWorldProblems

Thanks!

2. shokunin macrumors regular

3. darwin022 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks.... but yeah can't boot from that, and eSATA. I'm fine letting an SSD hang out in the extra optical drive bay, but I don't really want to have to run a SATA cable back in to do that. Highpoint has some cards that do eSATA 6Gbps as well.