6gen is showing Battery Percentage?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mr.steevo, Sep 27, 2017.

1. mr.steevo macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

I can’t figure this out.

I was under the impression that the iPod touch did not show battery percentage. I have two 6th generation iPods both 32gb. Both have iOS 11. One of them is showing battery percentage just like an iPhone would. I cannot figure out why one of them is doing this and the other one is not as both of these iPods belong to my three-year-old and five-year-old children and they don’t do anything more than games, videos and YouTube

Thoughts?

2. Falhófnir macrumors 6502

Falhófnir

Have you checked settings to see if they added the option to show it in iOS 11? One might be toggled on and the other off

3. RecentlyConverted macrumors regular

I was under the impression that the iPod touch did not show battery percentage. I have two 6th generation iPods both 32gb. Both have iOS 11. One of them is showing battery percentage just like an iPhone would. I cannot figure out why one of them is doing this and the other one is not as both of these iPods belong to my three-year-old and five-year-old children and they don’t do anything more than games, videos and YouTube

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

I have two also. But I don't have % showing. Has your iPod showing the % ever been jailbroken?

4. mr.steevo thread starter macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

I bought the one showing a percentage second hand. When I got it iOS 9 was out but it had the beta of iOS 10 on it. I reset and installed iOS 9 with no noticeable issues. Upgrade to iOS 11 was done last week.

5. RecentlyConverted macrumors regular

I have heard of these units showing percentage after being jailbroken, even after having a fresh instal of pure iOS.

6. mr.steevo thread starter macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

That must be it then.

Appreciate the comments.

7. Flopstar macrumors member

Flopstar

You can turn it on using iBackupbot by modding some code in a backup and restoring it onto your device. It’s erratic though; I’m guessing that’s why Apple didn’t officially include it in the OS for the Touches.

8. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

I bought my iPt6 new. I've never jailbroken or done anything weird to it.

I have the percentage now. It just showed up after the update to iOS 11 without any trying on my part.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 3, 2017 ---
    Thought:. Try activating Apple's battery widget. See if that makes it show up.

9. Bart Kela, Oct 4, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

This is a setting that has been available for a while, not new with iOS 11. It can be accessed on iOS 9 and later versions at:

Settings > Battery > Battery Percentage

I remember turning mine off a several years ago when the option to turn of Battery Percentage in the menu bar was made available.

If you are running iOS 8 or older, this setting is under:

Settings > Usage

Reference: Apple Support Document HT201102

10. Aston441 macrumors 6502a

It was not an option in iOS 8. I'm sure. At least not in the version my touch originally shipped with.

11. mr.steevo thread starter macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

Your link says halfway down:

“Battery Percentage isn't available on iPod touch.”

12. Bart Kela macrumors 6502a

Bart Kela

Hmmm, you're right. I just checked my iPod touch (which lives in my car) and indeed there is no option to turn on/off battery percentage.

A mystery.

13. mr.steevo thread starter macrumors 65816

mr.steevo

When I bought the "percentage iPod" used the guy I bought it from told me he had used it for designing apps and claimed he had that day just had it replaced by Apple Care...but it did have a beta of iOS 10 on it.
    Is your iPod a refurbished or a warranty replacement?

I do like the mystery of this. Much better than the "where did I spend all my money this month?" mystery.