6mb/s or 3mb/s from opti bay? 13" MBP 2012.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by murkeywaters, Dec 28, 2012.

1. murkeywaters macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm a new here and gradually progressing from PC to the world of Apple..and I love it

At the moment I have a mid 2012 MacBook Pro 13" i5 4gb 500gb HDD, basic model but geekbenching at around 6800 standard, I plan a few upgrades and this is where the questions come in and would be most grateful for some techy answers -

I have purchased a Crucial M4 256gb SSD, will this operate at the same read/write speed in the opti drive bay as if I mounted it in the HDD bay?? I ask this question as it seems bit of a gray area whether its 3mb/s or 6mb/s speed dependent on year or 13" or 15" model??

Also I will upgrade the RAM from 4gb to 16gb, is this worth it or should I just go with Apple's suggestion of 8gb?? money is not the issue here as 8 to 16 gb is a few ££ more.
    For stability I will buy the Crucial RAM as its 1.35v compared to most other upgrades which are 1.5v

What is the best connector for a hooking up the MBP to a external monitor with dual DVI connections??

Really sorry about all the questions but I'm keen to get my Mac flying but also super reliable so any advice or answers will be very welcome.

2. simsaladimbamba

Go to Finder > Applications (CMD+SHIFT+A) / Utilities (CMD+SHIFT+U) / System Report > Hardware > Serial ATA > optical drive > Link Speed and see for yourself if it is S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) or S-ATA 6.0 Gbps (S-ATA III).
    You could always put the HDD into the optibay, if you only get S-ATA 3.0 Gbps (S-ATA II) speeds there, though you would lose the Sudden Motion Sensor for the HDD.

2011 and 2012 MBPs support 16 GB of RAM using two 8 GB 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM modules, I don't remember the correct voltage though.

Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter would do fine.
    from
    To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. murkeywaters thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow thanks for quick answer,

So having a look at the info you suggested i have this for the opti drive -

Intel 7 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: 7 Series Chipset
    Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit

And this for the HDD

Intel 7 Series Chipset:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: 7 Series Chipset
    Link Speed: 6 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 3.0 Gigabit

From this i take it that both connections are SATA3= 6mb/s and the Negotiated Link Speed is the speed of the drive connected.

I would like to know if anybody has had a reliability issue with SSD's in the opti drive bay, I ask as its a new MBP with 2 years warrantee and I wouldn't want to devoid it by adding upgrades that could cause hardware issues.