6plus, bends while trying on cases, now I'm nervous

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Laryl, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Laryl macrumors regular

Laryl

I'm VERY careful and gentle with my phone. Tonight I tried on a Thule Atmos X3 case. Being as careful as I could, I panicked when the edges of the display distorted to tons of lines just around the edge. I'm sure it was pressure/bending for that couple seconds, and it went back to normal, but my question is; is that short time of bending, something I should freak out about?

I haven't been worried about all the bend hype, I'm female and don't put my phone in my pocket but geese if putting a case on bends it enough to do that... do you all think it's ok as long as I don't keep changing cases?

It did it again when I took the phone out. Anyone else experience this and freak out? I'm afraid to try on cases now.. I didn't see any that pulled apart like my old mophie did LOL

2. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Absolutely. You definitely shouldn't be seeing lines on an LCD o_O I've never seen that!

If I were you I'd consider taking it to the apple store, your screen might have some cracks in it that were a defect to begin with. Screens will show a bright spot when you apply pressure to a spot, but they definitely will NOT show lines.

3. Laryl thread starter macrumors regular

Laryl

I don't have an apple store, and it's not cracks (more than one edge too) ..it's the pixels of the background photo streaking off the edge of the screen. Size of the lines was really small, short.

4. technosix macrumors 6502a

You seem to be very careful and observant of the relatively small amount of distortion the phone displays under the stress of installing a snug fitting case.

The good news is Spigen is a precision case maker whose cases are easily installed without stressing the phone. They have a few different models that are not only sold at a significant discount on Amazon, but are very good looking while offering good protection.

I've got several as I like to change cases for variety from time to time. I've got three-year old Spigen cases that look like new.

Here's their main site.

www.spigen.com/

5. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

most people who reported their phones bending are usually the ones with cases; the bending happens when you're prying the case off... I would avoid the Candyshells and similar cases for that very reason...

this is what Im using and while it wont provide the greatest drop protection, it does well with bumps and scrapes and hasnt "bent" my 6+: https://www.goincase.com/shop/snap-cases/halo-snap-case-2/

I do wonder why there isnt any slider cases for this generation... sliding cases on and off wont bend the phones...

6. MNR macrumors regular

I would also avoid those case that are open on the top and the bottom. My friend had a brand new iPhone 6+ and unfortunately dropped it from his jacket pocket on the floor. The contact point was on the right top corner where this case is open resulting in a complete broken screen...

7. Laryl thread starter macrumors regular

Laryl

8. danny8200 macrumors 65816

danny8200

9. Laryl thread starter macrumors regular

Laryl

LOL exactly. :)
    Well here's the update.. I got a slightly used, looks like new, otterbox defender for $25 (from facebook private party) in solid black. I'm SO thrilled at the deal.. I'm on a super tight budget so this works great for me.
    THANKS for all the feedback, I appreciate it!
    I got the 16gb phone, so I admit I'm saving in case I find I need the memory and Mophie comes out with a space pack. I think Mophie is the only one with battery cases that also have additional memory, right?

10. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

A case that requires such a force to be installed, is a poorly designed case.

----------

That's how a manufacturer is using a false hysteria to its profits.... :rolleyes:

----------

I don't know if the Mophie with memory already is on the market for the iPhone 6/6+

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

Is that a case with steel splints in it? Perfect in order to use my phone as a lever to dislodge a stuck cabinet door, or to pistol whip an adversary without using a pistol. That case takes one from bend gate to douche gate.

12. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

My phone has a tiny bit of a bend/twist in it now. It's enough you can feel it if you put it flat on a table with the camera corner hanging off the edge, but I can't see it from the edges or even looking at the whole bottom from the side.

OTOH I had a couple of crappy drops at work. I'm just glad the screen didn't break. Still sucks :(

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

On pretty much every display I've accidentally pressed it a bit too hard while trying to remove a case or similar task. Briefly you see a sort of ripple pattern, but it shouldn't affect the display in any meaningful way in the long run.

14. Laryl thread starter macrumors regular

Laryl

Thank you, good to hear this and what I expected/hoped but .. still freaked me out lol.