6s Battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nikielizabeth, Sep 27, 2015.

1. nikielizabeth macrumors newbie

I was a proud owner of a 6+ on opening day last year (thanks to an early wake up for pre-order), and the phone was awesome. I went a full day of use w/ one battery charge.

On Sept 6, some @$$hat stole my phone, so I was forced to wait it out to buy the new one (first world problem at its finest), because God forbid I bought an old phone when the new one was less than 3 weeks from coming out. And contrary to my husband's belief - I did NOT purposely let it get stolen (I have an Apple problem).

Sooo....here's my issue/question:

This is day 2 with my iPhone 6s (I opted for the smaller size this time) and the battery life isn't 1/2 as good as it was with my old 6+. I am pretty iPhone savvy (been using them since the 4 first debuted), but I am by no means an expert. I have fiddled with all the options to reduce battery usage, even opted for the 'limited battery use' option that iOS9.0.1 offers. Light, background refresh app, etc - have all been adjusted for maximum battery conservation. So, why is it that after a couple of hours of limited use, I am at 65%?

Anyone else having issues w/ the battery on the 6s? Any insight from iPhone experts - is this a 6s versus 6s+ issue? Are there any hidden options that the iPhone has activated when you buy it that drains the battery? Or is this an issue that people are having with the new phone or new iOS?

Thanks for any and all input.

-N

2. ipooed macrumors 6502

ipooed

You are probably used to the 6+ battery life, I had the 6 and just upgraded to the 6S the battery life is worse on the 6S (not by much) but it is noticeable.

I figured the 6S would be more energy efficient but that's not the case :( I have everything turned off and I mean everything 3D Touch, location, Apple Music, spotlight, background app refresh, Siri, you name it it's off and yet my battery life still isn't up to par of my regular 6.

Hoping maybe a few charge cycles and it will improve.

3. WJKramer macrumors 6502

The 6s+ has a much larger battery then the 6s.

4. gui0312 macrumors 6502

gui0312

I am going through the same dilemma. I had an iPhone 6+ last year and the battery was awesome. Opted for the 6S this year due to comfort and easier to carry/pocket etc. This morning I started out at 100% battery from an overnight charge and checked a couple of emails, browsed safari some (for iPhone battery issues) and that's about it. I do utilize the peek and pop, 3D Touch, but that's because I want to utilize the options the phone has, otherwise what's the point? I am now at 76% just an hour in... I am contemplating exchanging and going to the 6S+ Once again... Anyone else? Or is it me??!

5. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

That doesn't seem right at all. Typically if I barely use my phone I am still around 76% at the end of the day. If I use it for music streaming I'm in the 50-60% range. If left alone or lightly used it should not even be near 90 an hour later.

Did you restore from a backup? Sometimes that causes me issues. When it's trying to update everything and do whatever else it needs to in the background, battery life is pretty poor. Right now I have been using it pretty heavily for 5 hours after leaving it off charge overnight and I'm down to 60%. It should very easily last you a day. I usually only have to charge at night unless I watch YouTube or play games a lot.

6. gui0312 macrumors 6502

gui0312

No I never restore from backups, I've found that causes problems usually and like the clean way. Yeah, it doesn't seem right to me though I am coming from a 6+, I'm at 69% now with just some light music play in the car and answering some emails, haven't really played any games.

7. MarcusCarpenter macrumors 6502a

MarcusCarpenter

My 6s battery lasts exactly the same as my 6 did yes it has a smaller battery but it's more power efficient

8. nikielizabeth thread starter macrumors newbie

That was what I am hearing, but I guess I figured that it wouldn't make *that* big of a difference. Even my husband's 5s seems to last longer (I am probably imagining things...I have the "apple whines" right now).

9. nikielizabeth thread starter macrumors newbie

The battery issue sucks, especially if it is something that we will just have to live with (ie: no patch/update/etc). But, I do like not having an ipad mini for a phone. I love the 6+, but I was getting ready to move on to something smaller (albeit it was done for me by some twat-waffle thief!). Guess I will have to wait another year for the 7 and I will consider the size of the battery/phone at that time.

10. nikielizabeth thread starter macrumors newbie

YES. Good call on that! There are still some iPhoto folders that were showing "downloading"....That might be the issue. I will have to canx the icloud back up download (or wait it out). This just gave me some hope....

11. Robert M. macrumors 6502a

Robert M.

This is what I don't like about my 6S. The battery isn't great when compared to the 6 Plus.

12. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

Battery life isn't groundbreaking but it should get you through a normal day. I had to purchase a battery case for my 6 due to going to concerts often but rarely used it for normal days. If you don't mind the bulk a battery case definitely helps. I kind of miss it now. The 6s doesn't really fit into it properly so I'm rocking a leather one right now. It's weird having a thin phone again lol

13. michael31986 macrumors 68030

This happens everytime a phone comes out.. the battery seems to not last as long because its a new toy to you and you are playing with it more.

Also of course the 6plus battery would be better than the 6S.

14. elit3nemesis macrumors regular

elit3nemesis

I came from a iPhone 5 to iPhone 6s and the battery life is amazing :D

15. nikielizabeth thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I haven't been using it that much, and I about got carpel tunnel after the first few days of my 6+. So, it isn't "new toy use"....really wish it was. I plan on waiting out the iCloud backup to finalize (not see the "downloading" on my iPhoto folders), and then see what that gives me. As for the + being better than the regular, as someone else pointed out, I would have thought that it would have been more efficient than the +...maybe I assumed wrong.

16. michael31986 macrumors 68030

Someone said that they though their 6S would be better than a 6Plus. they did NOT say they thought their 6S PLus was better than the 6 plus.. thats why im like really? how would a smaller phone be better battery?

17. nikielizabeth thread starter macrumors newbie

Try going from a laptop for a phone to a regular sized phone! :)

I like the size of the 6s, the + was just too big to carry during long runs - and having my phone during marathons and ultra marathons are a must. I had to downsize. :(

18. nikielizabeth thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't expect it to really be better, but I also didn't expect it to be a lot worse. I posted this thread in hopes that there were some tips on things that I might have missed (and others as well). I know I set myself up for the proverbial keyboard lashings - but if I can save a few minutes on my iPhone and help someone else as well - then I am ok with it. :)

19. TyS97 macrumors newbie

I'm very impressed with the battery life of my 6s so far. It's a huge improvement over my iPhone 5s. When I charged my phone last night the phone had been on standby for around 11 1/2 hours with a usage time of almost 7 hours, and I still had 20% left. I turned low power mode on when the phone had reached 38%. Today, with my phone fully charged, I turned low power mode on from the beginning and I'm going to see how long I can get it to last.

20. James6s macrumors regular

James6s

Anyone downgrading size from last years 6+ to a 6s and expecting similar battery life then you are going to be very disappointed I'm afraid! The 6+ has a 2915mAh battery vs 1715mAh for this years 6s - Quite a difference! I have an iPhone 6 at the moment and my new 6s supposed to be getting delivered tomorrow, since iOS 9 update my 6 battery life has increased quite a bit. Now the 6s has an even smaller battery (1715mAH) than my 6 (1810mAh) So can't wait to get the 6s and compare with my 6 on battery performance! If the 6s is much worse then I'll be keeping my 6 and I'll wait for the 7 next year!

21. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Yesterday I had about 18 hours unplugged, 7-8 hours usage, and a screen on time of a little over 2 hours with 16% left. It wasn't as good as my 6+, but I think it was about 60% (if not more) of the 6+'s battery life. I'm still getting used to not seeing so much on the massive screen, but the improved ergonomics are worth it for me.