6S front flash

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nacket, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Nacket macrumors member

Nacket

When I heard about the front flash at the keynote I waved it off as a rumor but in real world use I've found it to really improve dark pictures and skin tone on my 6S+, has anyone else been noticing the same?

2. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Why is it a rumor when it's announced at the keynote? I think you meant to say that you waved it off as a gimmick?

Yea it helps with low light selfies but I still prefer using the back camera for selfies for much better quality pictures (takes some training but well worth it)

3. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

I have on noticed this. Apple has really done a remarkable job on the new Retina Flash. Quite some people seem to think the screen just lights in white, but there's way more behind it. First of all it lights up the display brightness by 3 times the original maximum brightness. Second, just like the True Tone flash at the back, the Retina Flash tries to match the color of the ambient light, skin tones etc.

All to get those accurate colors. :)

Anyway, it just works. And that's all we want, right?

4. Nacket thread starter macrumors member

Nacket

Oops, didn't mean to say rumor, meant gimmick.

5. James6s macrumors regular

James6s

I don't know I haven't tried to take a selfie in low lighting, not that i take that many selfies anyway!

6. savagewatts macrumors regular

Agreed. I thought it was a little cheesy to announce as a new feature but it's surprisingly effective. Good on Apple.

7. eyeseeyou macrumors 68000

Why is this a 6s feature only?

The camera + app has had this functionality in using the screen as a flash for at least the last year or two.

8. Conan86 macrumors 6502

Because the display is supposedly able to brighten up 3 times higher than its brightest mode and it balances the white balance like the true tone flash does. I don't think the camera+ app does white balance

9. Nacket thread starter macrumors member

Nacket

The screen gets really bright and the color accuracy is amazing. I've seen front flashes implemented in snap chat and Camera+ but they're not as fast, bright, and don't adjust for color