6s home button help

Marc1980

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2020
Hi guys,
My daughter has a 6s and while replacing the screen, gorilla fingers here broke the home button ribbon cable. I have done quite a lot if reading around the issue of touch ID failure when replacing the home button but my daughter does not really need the touch ID feature so I bought a standard home button off of Amazon. Fitted it and I was not expecting touch ID to work but the whole home button does not work. For now I have enabled the onscreen home button. Before I get another button or take it in for repair I was wondering if anybody had any ideas? Would a reset or even a DFU restore do anything.
Many thanks in advance
Marc

Lekro

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2019
Budapest, Hungary
Two possibilities:
- Faulty (new) home button
- Faulty (new) screen. The extension ribbon for the home button that goes just above the backlight layer of the screen is faulty.

Last edited:

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
Sounds like you may have damaged the connection to the board. It's possible that the replacement is defective or you didn't plug it in right so I'd check the connection/try another home button. If that doesn't work you may have to continue using the virtual home button or pay for a repair from a 3rd party service as Apple doesn't do board level repairs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.