6S home button: not silent?

imanidiot

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I hope this doesn't sound too tedious or anal retentive, but I've had my iPhone 6S for a couple of days, and just noticed that pressing the home button makes a soft clicking sound. As I recall, my previous iPhone home buttons were silent (3Gs, 4s, 5s). I just sent my 5s off to Gazelle for sale, so I can't check that one, but my 3Gs which I still have and use an an iPod is silent. I haven't yet gone to my local Apple Store to check the display models, but did call Apple Support who assured me that it was normal (they had to check their own 6s's---a couple of them--- because they hadn't noticed it, and they also click). I know this is really stupid, but for those of you of have recently received a 6S, does your experience reflect mine?

Thanks and hope this is not annoying.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
All home buttons are not equal. Some do make a noise and others do not. The sound does not effect if it works. Every iPhone I have ever owned had a home button that was different from the last. Some click and other do not. Some feel mushy and others chrisp.

I just want them to work! They always have!

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
I hope this doesn't sound too tedious or anal retentive, but I've had my iPhone 6S for a couple of days, and just noticed that pressing the home button makes a soft clicking sound. As I recall, my previous iPhone home buttons were silent (3Gs, 4s, 5s). I just sent my 5s off to Gazelle for sale, so I can't check that one, but my 3Gs which I still have and use an an iPod is silent. I haven't yet gone to my local Apple Store to check the display models, but did call Apple Support who assured me that it was normal (they had to check their own 6s's---a couple of them--- because they hadn't noticed it, and they also click). I know this is really stupid, but for those of you of have recently received a 6S, does your experience reflect mine?

Gasp, it's a mechanical button. What do you expect? Every iOS device I've had has done this, I'd be concerned if I didn't hear a click.

mateo124

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2011
OK, OK, I'm sorry I asked. Nevermind.
I just read my reply, sorry didn't mean to come off that way. Anyway, you can sort of make it quieter by pressing slightly off center on the button, pressing firmly on the middle makes the loudest click, in my experience.

imanidiot

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
I just read my reply, sorry didn't mean to come off that way. Anyway, you can sort of make it quieter by pressing slightly off center on the button, pressing firmly on the middle makes the loudest click, in my experience.
No problem. I appreciate the reply. Otherwise I find the phone to be pretty great.

Last edited:

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The 6S+ I returned with a fault* had a silent home button but the replacement is clicky. My 6+ home button was also clicky. So long as it works I wouldn't worry.

*Funnily enough the silent 'Rolls Royce' home button gave up the ghost and stopped responding.

paulgandersman

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2010
I had a 6+ with a silent home button that eventually led to it being soft and mushy and not super responsive. apple gave me a replacement that had that nice click. my new 6S also clicks properly. The soft/silent ones are defective.

Reactions: imanidiot

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 68040
Sep 27, 2008
Hey, no worries, OP. It's a valid question. I have a 6s that makes and audible click and I have a 6s Plus that is mushy and does not click at all. I was wondering the same thing.

imanidiot

Suspended
Original poster
May 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Hey, no worries, OP. It's a valid question. I have a 6s that makes and audible click and I have a 6s Plus that is mushy and does not click at all. I was wondering the same thing.
Thank you. I know how stupid and OCD the question sounds, but really, I don't recall my previous iPhones exhibiting this. Anyway, thanks. Issue closed. I'll shut-up now.

mrgeekguymd

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Naperville, IL
Clicky or quite is fine. If it were hard to press, mushy, sticking, or making some cracking noises (as if something was behind it) then you've got a problem.

I used to be anal retentive to some unhealthy point. After many iPhone replacements, I realized that there are certain things that are ok and some that are not.

HippieMagic

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
Depending on your case it may muffle the sound to the point that you don't notice the click, too. It sounds a fair bit louder depending on the case I have it in. I am currently using an Apple Leather case so the actual button is exposed and the click is very noticeable.

If you want it to sound less noticeable you could pick up a mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX Blue or Green switches. Buttons will sound noticeably less loud to you at that point.

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
My 6 has a much nicer feel and sound over my 6s

How do I upload a video here?

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
Thank you. I know how stupid and OCD the question sounds, but really, I don't recall my previous iPhones exhibiting this. Anyway, thanks. Issue closed. I'll shut-up now.
If you want folks to stop responding, go edit your original post, hit the small cog, and change the thread prefix to "resolved."

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007

Your concern wasn't a big deal to most people, but it is still a totally valid discussing point.
See this thread for work around.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/getting-around-the-home-button-click-noise.1921504/

bevsb2

macrumors 68000
Nov 23, 2012
My Apple devices have all had clicking home buttons, some louder than others. My new 6S home button doesn't always respond to my first press and sometimes requires a second one, but always works the second time so I guess I just have to press a little harder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.