6S -- looks like a good time to replace my 4S

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Broadus, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Broadus macrumors 6502a

Reading some of the underwhelmed and disappointed posts about yesterday's 6S announcement, those posts have made me consider that the 6S may finally be the one to replace my aging 4S. If the RAM is 2GB as has been widely rumored, the 6S ought to do me well for another four or five years.

To be fair, I was initially a bit underwhelmed myself, and if I had a 6, I'm sure I would wait to upgrade. However, I'm a basic user, so the upgraded camera will be better than what I really need, the CPU and graphics performance should be plenty fast for the coming years, battery life should be sufficient (though I always wish for more in that category), and the 3D touch is a plus. If the RAM is 2GB, what more is really needed?

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

You're probably right, the only reason I would see for you to hold off is if you had been waiting to upgrade because you were hoping for a smaller screen someday. if that had anything to do with why you hung onto the 4S I'd wait for the 7 and see if apple does anything to replace the 5S as that is their last small screen phone and it is due to be discontinued next year.

3. MacTwick macrumors newbie

When you say what more is really needed to upgrade from your 4S to the 6S or 6S+, the answer is nothing. You will see a huge performance boost switching from the two. The 4S is a very good phone, but it is getting pretty outdated. The new A9 chip, being 70% faster in performance than the A8 chip was on my 6, you will not be upset.

As for 2GB of Ram.. I can see why it is wanted. However without it, is it needed?

I have the 6 and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. I'm just upgrading because of the better camera, the A9 Chip, and the 3D touch. I was sold on the 3D touch!

4. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Actually, the primary reason I held onto my 4S is my innate frugality. I actually wanted a larger screen, but the 5 and 5S weren't enough of a difference for me to upgrade. I waited through the 6 because it seems the "S" puts the finishing touches on the new number. I don't know, though, that the 7 would bring that much more to the table.

For me, the 2GB of RAM would help to future-proof the phone.

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If that's the case then get the 6S or 6S+ it'll last you a long time. My guess is that the 7 will be a redesign like normal and one or two smaller features to improve it over the 6S, so I'd just buy now.

6. Kendo macrumors 68000

This is the time to upgrade. The iPhone 6 only had a 25% and 50% increase in CPU and GPU while maintaining 50% power efficiency. The 6s provides a huge 70% and 90% boost. You want the biggest jump possible since each year the tech will get obsolete. At least least with the 6s, the A9 will slow down the obsolescence.

7. sterl320 macrumors 6502

That 3D touch is going to go readily far in the iPhone ecosystem. I can't wait to get my hands on it. Its just a whole new dynamic.

8. techspin macrumors 6502a

Frankly, a potato would be an upgrade from that 4S dinosaur you're rocking.

9. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Often given much to hyperbole? ;)

Actually, I had considered replacing it a couple of times with a mid-level Android but decided I liked the 4S better, especially with its integration with my MBP and iPad Air.

10. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Depends on the person it seems. With companies out there putting 23MP cameras, octacores, 4GB RAM, etc into their phones these days, there are many individuals who cannot deal with having a phone that doesn't have the largest specs. Part of it is likely based off of a desire for a certain level of performance, and likely some for perceived value. However, as others will argue, specs are not the end of the story and it all depends on how everything works together.

I'm looking forward to moving up to the 6S Plus from my 6 Plus for a couple reasons, namely the faster GPU and hopefully 2GB of RAM, which will fix the two issues I have with my current phone which is some UI sluggishness when compared to the 6 due to the number of pixels being pushed and the excessive Safari tab reloading. I'm not much of a photo taker in general but the better camera will certain come in handy for the times that I will need to snap some pics.

Overall, if you were able to last on the 4S until now, it seems likely that the 6S will serve you well until the 8S rolls around.

11. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I would imagine that the 7 would bring much more to the table than the 6S did over the 6.

12. Mr D macrumors 6502

I'll make it very simple for you.

How many years will you live for before you pass away on this earth? 70? 80? 90? 100?

You want to sit here and WAIT...WASTE a year for a phone where there are plans now that let you take advantage of payments over time?

13. blueflower macrumors 6502

14. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

I think you'd be happy with a 6S to replace the 4S. Don't worry about the specs so much. It will last you years and Apple will definitely keep it supported for many more OS releases. I wouldn't even think about waiting for the iPhone 7 if I were in your shoes. The S updates are better in my opinion so you'll be getting a really great phone.

15. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

"Waste a year"? Having just turned 60 (yes -- I can remember teaching basic programming to high school students in the early 1980's), I count life very precious. And, no, my smartphone is not my life. ;)