6s plus OIS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samtb, May 15, 2016.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

does the OIS in 6s plus give its camera a big advantage over the 6s?

2. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

Yeah, it's considerably more stable when shooting video. It's like having a built-in steady cam.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

4. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Nowhere near worth it given the size of plus version.

5. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

This makes no sense. What are you complaining about?

6. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Makes sense to me. I can't use any smaller words.

7. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

But is there not as much difference with photos?

8. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

My understanding is that it pony effects video recording.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 1, 2016 ---
    im thinking what is implied here is the trade off isn't worth it. What you gain from the OIS doesn't offset the large unwieldy size of the plus device.

9. MPOW3RED macrumors newbie

Did you mean iOS?

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

No. OIS
    Optical Image Stabilization
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2016 ---
    Correct. OIS only affects video.

11. Tom G. macrumors 68000

Tom G.

Yes, since it works just as well when taking photos, as it does when taking videos, it is well worth the extra cost of the 6S Plus. The extra size of the 6S Plus that is mentioned in Post #5 is to me an advantage as it gives a larger screen for me to use to set up my photo.

I actually got my 6S Plus for the larger screen size to help with reading. Larger print etc, however I have found that it also comes in handy when taking photos or videos. The OIS is ice cream on the pie.

12. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

And editing them too. ;-)

13. Sunny1990 macrumors 68000

Sunny1990

Yes Big advantage over regular iPhone 6s

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

OIS was the clincher for me in deciding between the 6s and the 6s+.

15. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

On my recent road trip I sat in the car and recorded a video of the scenery going by using both my 6S Plus and my SE. Camera shake was very evident in the SE's video. There was none in the 6S Plus video. Unfortunately I can't share the videos because my husband and kid couldn't stop talking long enough and a couple of times I dropped and fumbled one of the phones so the audio is me at my grumpiest. :confused: :rolleyes:I was holding both IPhones together, which was a bear to do. But it let me see the differences right away as I was filming.

For people who don't mind walking on long hikes with the 6S Plus the OIS is a worthy feature. I'm a petite female and I felt the convenience of being able to easily pop the SE into and out of my front pocket outweighed the bit of jitters I got on video. So the 6S Plus got left home a lot. Of course I haven't tried to view any of the videos on the big screen tv. When I do, I may have some regrets.

16. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Well that's your opinion. To other people it's a win-win because they love the larger screen size AND the extra features, better battery, etc.

I'm going for the Plus next time around not only because I get more features such as the cool landscape springboard/improved landscape app layouts, better battery, better camera, etc, but because of the larger screen. My iPhone 6 occasionally feels too small and cramped when I'm using it, watching videos, etc. When I use my friend's 6 Plus I feel more at home with the awesome expansive canvas that I have access to.

I'm only somewhat worried about the unwieldy nature of the large phone. Not really for one-handed everyday use, but more for like using the phone one handed when I'm laying down or something. That might get annoying because it will be a little harder to support and I'll have to remember to enable portrait orientation lock for the home screen but really it doesn't seem like such a bad trade off with such a nicer amount of space.
    I thought OIS affected photos as well? Look at the 6 Plus from last year, it has OIS for photos but not video. Slightly better low light performance, less noise and movement related blurriness.

17. RadioGaGa1984 Suspended

RadioGaGa1984

Never said it was anything else.