6s screen cuts halfway off occasionally. Anyone else?

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Hard to explain, but my new 6s has this weird bug where apps and/or the home screen with icons sometimes "cuts out" and is pushed halfway below. See screenshot for an example. This happens only for a few seconds, then it goes back to normal. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm hoping it's some kind of bug with iOS 9, and not my iPhone itself. (The green/black 'blur' above the app is my background blurred out. If my home screen becomes cut in half, my folders/icons will move to the middle of the screen, vs. the top, where they are set.)

IMG_0025.jpg

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
That's a feature; when you double-touch (not press) the home button, the screen moves down half-way so you can reach the top. Make sure you're not inadvertently activating it by brushing against the home button.

Reactions: Cayden and bkends35

Saberon2014

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2013
Hard to explain, but my new 6s has this weird bug where apps and/or the home screen with icons sometimes "cuts out" and is pushed halfway below. See screenshot for an example. This happens only for a few seconds, then it goes back to normal. Is anyone else experiencing this? I'm hoping it's some kind of bug with iOS 9, and not my iPhone itself. (The green/black 'blur' above the app is my background blurred out. If my home screen becomes cut in half, my folders/icons will move to the middle of the screen, vs. the top, where they are set.)

View attachment 586701
LOL

Double tapping the home button enables reachability. It's a feature of iPhone 6 and up.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
USA
That's a feature; when you double-touch (not press) the home button, the screen moves down half-way so you can reach the top. Make sure you're not inadvertently activating it by brushing against the home button.
LOL

Double tapping the home button enables reachability. It's a feature of iPhone 6 and up.
Ohh, I didn't realize this. I came from the 5s. What's this feature for - reachability? Is there any way I can turn it off?

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
Turning off useful features, always a sign of someone who doesn't know why they upgraded.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
got that nomadic lifestyle
I was still looking for what was wrong.. haha. I just wish Apple would go with a single light tap of the Home button as Back instead of the back arrow way up at the top-left corner. quicker than Reachability, and would allow more room for iOS 9's tiny Previous button.

xraydoc

macrumors demi-god
Oct 9, 2005
I was still looking for what was wrong.. haha. I just wish Apple would go with a single light tap of the Home button as Back instead of the back arrow way up at the top-left corner. quicker than Reachability, and would allow more room for iOS 9's tiny Previous button.
Swipe to the right to go back. Works in most iOS 8/9 apps. No need to reach up to the back arrow.

tallazzPilipino

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2015
got that nomadic lifestyle
Swipe to the right to go back. Works in most iOS 8/9 apps. No need to reach up to the back arrow.
there's just not enough of the apps I personally use that implement swiping back. and several apps only show their menu pane or an entirely different window on the left side when swiping. I guess a global Back function on the Home button is just wishful thinking on my part.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.