Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnortenjones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
I upgraded from the 5s to the 6s on Friday. In the car I use an aux port to play music from my iphone to the car stereo.

On the 6s, I occasionally get static on the line that I never got on the 5s (or before). I hear it more when connecting to an internet app (such as facebook, or an email pull). It's not very loud, but I do notice it.

I've tried two different 3mm cords, thinking one may just be cheaper and not have enough shielding, but I am hearing it on both.

It seems to be an intermittent problem, sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, and I don't get it on my iphone earbuds.

Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks.

gnortenjones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Others have noticed it too:

Hope this helps. Sucks coz it looks like hardware problem.

Thanks. This is exactly what I'm hearing on my car stereo. I thought about taking it into the Apple store, but doubted if I could reproduce the effect since it seems to be intermittent, and doesn't seem to happen when I'm using the apple earbuds.

aesc80

Cancelled
Mar 24, 2015
Same here, and I don't mean the AUX. My in car iPhone device has been picking up static / signals while I'm playing over the speakers. It's kinda easy to tune it out, but on particularly quite portions (in between songs), its very apparent.

lachlanlikesathing

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015
On the 6s, I occasionally get static on the line that I never got on the 5s (or before). I hear it more when connecting to an internet app (such as facebook, or an email pull). It's not very loud, but I do notice it.

Same here, and I don't mean the AUX. My in car iPhone device has been picking up static / signals while I'm playing over the speakers. It's kinda easy to tune it out, but on particularly quite portions (in between songs), its very apparent.

Hi! I'm the Youtuber who uploaded that video. I've seen a few people on Reddit and Head-Fi also confirm they are able to replicate the issue. I noticed it first on my earphones. May I ask which country / region you bought your 6S? I would also suggest maybe filing a bug report via http://www.apple.com/feedback/ - this might prompt some investigation from Apple of the issue.

Rocko9999

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Death Valley ca.
Hi! I'm the Youtuber who uploaded that video. I've seen a few people on Reddit and Head-Fi also confirm they are able to replicate the issue. I noticed it first on my earphones. May I ask which country / region you bought your 6S? I would also suggest maybe filing a bug report via http://www.apple.com/feedback/ - this might prompt some investigation from Apple of the issue.
Without much steam Apple won't fix this. It's too costly to engineer a fix.

gnortenjones

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008

Im' in the US, in Upstate New York. I did go ahead and submitted feedback to apple. Hopefully they'll address it.

Rocko9999

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2015
Death Valley ca.
I notice a clicking sound when I first plug in my aux cable, but I don' notice any background noise that overpowers the noise floor of my system.

On another note, is the screen supposed to come on when plugging in a cable? Never did before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.