Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I was wondering if this is a problem for others? After powering off and on my Taptic works fine for a few hours, and then I go to use force touch and the Taptic doesn't work. I power off and on then it works fine for a few hours and then the same thing happens. I've done a hard reset and get the same results as the power off and on.

Is this a glitch?

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I was wondering if this is a problem for others? After powering off and on my Taptic works fine for a few hours, and then I go to use force touch and the Taptic doesn't work. I power off and on then it works fine for a few hours and then the same thing happens. I've done a hard reset and get the same results as the power off and on.

Is this a glitch?
We had a few at work that did this. Apple replaced them, the new ones are fine.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Sorry, I was getting errors with Tapatalk while trying to post and didn't realize it was posting every time.

@Max- was it a software or hardware issue?

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Thank you, tried restoring, set the phone up as new yesterday, and today the Taptic stopped working again. I reserved a Genius Bar appointment.

LaraStone

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2015

Is this a glitch?

I have the same problem.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I had to get my first AW replaced due to the haptic motor not working. It would work for a while after rebooting but within a day it would stop again. After replacement, not a problem anymore.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
I wanted to put an update out there on this. First of all Merry Christmas for those who celebrate.
I went to my Genius Bar appointment the other day. The Taptic WAS working when I brought it in so I was thinking they might find the problem through diagnostics, he said nothing did come up, but also said the Taptic was very weak. He offered to replace it which I approved. I've had it for 2 days and <knock wood> all good.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Well it's a few weeks since I got the replacement iPhone and it's back to doing it every few days. Is this possibly a glitch in the OS? For reference Space Grey 128GB on Verizon IOS 9.2.

This happens so randomly.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Well it's a few weeks since I got the replacement iPhone and it's back to doing it every few days. Is this possibly a glitch in the OS? For reference Space Grey 128GB on Verizon IOS 9.2.

This happens so randomly.

Mine is a RG 6S 64GB on AT&T, and Taptic has been working every time since I got it for Christmas, on 9.2 (came with 9.1). Just tried 3D Touch on home screen, and no probs.

Have you tried restoring the replacement? I would think it could be a software glitch if that's 2nd time in a row..

Fluttershy

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2012
Australia
I bought a brand new iPhone 6S on release. Used it as per normal, after about 2 weeks I noticed the Vibrate/Taptic stopped working randomly. So alerts/calls would not vibrate, nor would force-touch.

To fix this, I'd have to turn the phone off and then back on again. And it would resolve it, until it randomly stopped.

I went to Apple and the replaced the iPhone 6S for me on the spot. Great. I restored from my backup and used it, but then a few days in, BAM issue strikes again. Vibrate/Taptic stops working until I restart iPhone.

So I'm thinking it may be a iOS thing, so I Erase all Content & Settings off my iPhone. I then proceed to set it up as a Brand New iPhone. Thinking well now it's a brand new setup, surely this can't happen again.

No less than 24 hours since the reset the vibrate/taptic stopped working! I don't even know why anymore, one minute it vibrates when I get texts, next minute it doesn't!

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
This feature does not work for me either, very frustrating.

The whole quick actions thing does not work unless I open an app and close it. Is this a software issue or hardware?

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
Happy to know I'm not alone, sucks however that it's happening. Now the big question is if it is software or hardware related. It sounds like 9.3 is in the pipeline to release. I'm curious if there is anything in the big fix portion that addresses this.

DougFNJ

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 22, 2008
NJ
So here is the big update. The issue kept happening. Apple Store geniuses kept swapping my phones out, AppleCare ended up sending me a brand new sealed in box phone. I completely wiped phones 3 times and started from scratch. Nothing was working. I sent a diagnostic while on the phone to the rep, he couldn't find anything abnormal. We did a full file send through iTunes as he escalated it to engineering. Got a call back today requesting that I try 2 things....when the problem occurs, turn off Bluetooth and see if that fixes it, and change the vibration alert on the silent ringtone. Interestingly I switched the alert to Rapid, back to default after he told me this back to rapid and it when I changed it over the vibrate stopped working. I toggled Bluetooth and it started working. So it looks like it is pretty much narrowed down and I have an idea what may had been causing it.

I hope this helps someone else that this may had been affecting.

jeff123816

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2009
I've had a 6s since launch and this has been a continuous problem for me. Unfortunately, none of the suggestions in this thread have worked for me. Bluetooth and silent vibration settings do not reactivate the vibration. Only a restart. If I do a restart in the morning, vibration is gone by noon, so it's pretty quick. This is forcing me to miss reminders as I have to keep my phone on silent at work. Has anyone made any progress with this?

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles

Is this a glitch?

I had a problem where it wouldn't work at all. Resetting all settings fixed it for whatever reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.