6S to have "3D Touch" Display

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kevsta26, Sep 5, 2015.

1. Kevsta26 macrumors 6502a

So word around town is the 6S's force touch display is going to officially be called "3D Touch" as it senses 3 different levels of pressure; tap, press, and deep press.

Force Touch, which comes with the new MacBooks and Apple Watches, only senses 2 levels of pressure. So, it looks like the 6S is going to have an upgraded version before it even received the original.

2. nfl46 macrumors 603

Very nice! Of course people are going to say its a "gimmick" without even using it. I cannot wait to test it out in person. Great job, Apple!

3. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

4. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Can't wait. It'll only take app developers 10 months to implement in their apps, like the new screen resolutions for the 6/6+. (Looking at you, Chase)

5. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

Actually will have fourth.....oops pressed too far, need new screen. Had to wait with force touch till stronger 7000 series aluminum.

6. tjleonard macrumors 6502

Don't get me wrong...i'm all for new features (and since i've not tried it - please understand i'm open to the idea). I'm just not sure what value force touch will add (I've not even looked yet). Any thoughts to what it can add that will actually be beneficial?

7. Glideslope Suspended

Glideslope

All this "Forced Touching" is making me a little nervous. 3D is a little too personal for me quite frankly. :apple:

8. tjleonard macrumors 6502

Well, I'm not sure how smart it is to "force touch" a screen. Right now, if someone breaks their iPhone screen (i'm not that person, but let's say you are) and you don't have time, money, ect to get it fixed...Force touching will just make it worse and possibly cause smaller nicks to turn into a crack. If you can turn off the force touch and then still access everything without force touch - cool, if not, that's a tough one...

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

I think you're overestimating the pressure required to initiate the Force Touch abilities.

10. tjleonard macrumors 6502

Yah ... I think you're right :)

I want it to be awesome, i'm just not sure what applications would make it awesome.

11. sn macrumors 6502

That's not strictly true. Force Touch, at least on Mac, senses a wide range of pressure. For example, when you're drawing a line with the trackpad, the harder you press, the thicker the line will appear. Or, if you're scrubbing through a video/audio file, a light press will scrub at x4, slightly harder at x8, harder again at x16 and so on (I may have got the figures wrong here but you get my point). When simply 'clicking' the trackpad, the software has defined a level of pressure at which point it decides to you have issued a 'tap' and a second, higher level of pressure at which point it decides you have issued a 'press'. Even these levels are adjustable within settings so that, even within the clicking functionality alone, there's several levels of pressure which can create an action. So, the only difference I can see between 'Force Touch' and '3D Touch' is that the software is adding a third 'action point' so to speak.

12. mrex macrumors 68020

mrex

im probably the only one but im hoping to see a regular screen.

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

More options for control without having to dig through menus.

Interesting new games.