6S vs 6S Plus Camera (for those who used both)

ARizz44

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I know I know, it is quite late in the game to be asking this but I really need some honest feedback.

Despite huge hands, I prefer the size of the 4.7" model mainly because I can reach all four corners one handed with my thumb with ease without shifting the phone. I never once have used reachability nor needed to. I don't need the extra battery of the plus, nor do I notice the difference in resolution.
However I do take a ton pictures and videos.

I do not typically print my pics. They are more so for social media usage and sharing to others via text. My question to those who have used both cameras is this: how much better does OIS make the pics and videos on the S Plus? I am more interested in your opinions than the video reviews I have watched on YouTube. For a photo and video enthusiast, would the difference be drastic enough for you to deal with the size of the S Plus just to have that camera? That is what I am looking for. Thank you.

dave006

Contributor
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
You might want to change the title to reflect your question concerning the camera on the 6S VS the 6S+. Your current title is 6S vs 6S Camera (for those who used both) :(

You might get more responses.

Dave

Reactions: ARizz44 and ABC5S

ARizz44

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Lol good grief. I even used 'who' instead of 'who've' in the title. This has been a true Monday for me in every aspect possible. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. :oops:

Reactions: oMc

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
From what I can tell, the biggest difference is the iPhone 6s Plus has OIS, and therefore video quality is much improved. A big part of video quality is how stable to video is. You can still get great video with the 6s but you need to be holding it pretty still or brace yourself against something to get video as good as the 6s Plus. Otherwise you'll need to run it through software to stabilize it which loses some resolution. For photos, I think the OIS is more of a help in low-light conditions, I'm just not certain if there is as significant a difference as there is with video. My guess from looking at photos is no.

Reactions: ARizz44

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
I personally chose the plus versions (6+ and 6S+) primarily for OIS. I love taking pictures and have a decently visited photoblog. So, the improvements in low light pictures and also in stabilizing walking videos was the decider.

beeinformed

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
From what I can tell, the biggest difference is the iPhone 6s Plus has OIS, and therefore video quality is much improved. A big part of video quality is how stable to video is. You can still get great video with the 6s but you need to be holding it pretty still or brace yourself against something to get video as good as the 6s Plus. Otherwise you'll need to run it through software to stabilize it which loses some resolution. For photos, I think the OIS is more of a help in low-light conditions, I'm just not certain if there is as significant a difference as there is with video. My guess from looking at photos is no.
I personally chose the plus versions (6+ and 6S+) primarily for OIS. I love taking pictures and have a decently visited photoblog. So, the improvements in low light pictures and also in stabilizing walking videos was the decider.
If you have a hand tremor will the hardware image stabilization feature in the 6S+ make a significant difference (when taking photos) vs the digital OIS feature in the 6S?

MRxROBOT

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2016
The video is a lot more stable on the + variants. I have a + and my wife has the smaller phone. It makes a big difference in shots when you're moving. Photos seem about the same to my untrained eyes, but videos is where the + shines.

cableguy84

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2015
Dont know about the 6S and 6S plus, but , i owned the 6 and 6 Plus . There wasn't a huge difference