6s vs 6s Plus -- The Definitive List

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MICHAELSD, Sep 28, 2015.

1. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

6s pros:

Smoother due to lower resolution
    Slightly (~ 10% difference) better display contrast/colors
    Easier one-handed usage
    Smaller footprint

6s Plus pros:

Larger battery
    Sharper, larger 1080p display
    Superior for portrait typing
    Optical image stabilization

The 6s is incredibly smooth. Makes me want to compare to the 6s Plus further before switching back to the Plus size. It seems at a very conservative minimum twice as smooth all around over my 6 Plus, whereas my 6 Plus has a very noticeable lag present throughout the interface.

2. msae macrumors member

I went from the 6 Plus to the 6s Plus. I noticed a HUGE difference in overall smoothness. There's significantly less lag/stutter on the 6s Plus. Now, having said that, I still notice some here or there, but I don't have an iPhone 6s to compare to. For instance, if you use Pinterest, scroll through your feed (flick, and let the inertial scroll take over), or the Gallery page in Workflow. There's definite stutter. If you, or anyone, could test these on your 6s, that may help.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Without sound accusatory, where do you get that 10% better display? How are you assigning that metric?

Also, when you say slower, is this just a "technically speaking since we know under the hood they're the same" or are we talking real world use? Because real world use I noticed no performance difference. Can't say the same about last year though...

4. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Going by eye. Also by the fact Apple lists the 6s contrast ratio at 1400:1 vs 1300:1 on the Plus. The display definitely pops a bit more.

Just navigating the UI I find the 6s to be buttery smooth, whereas the Plus is just smooth. (I can notice a higher frame rate on the 6s which is no surprise because it has less pixels to push.)

5. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

My 6s Plus is a smooth as a baby's bum. But then again so was my 6 Plus. Both running 9.1 b2.

6. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Thank you. It wasn't clear what you meant by 10%. Because the resolution alone is more than a 10% bump. But it sounds like you weren't taking that into account in your comparison (which is obviously fine, I was just confused).

As to the ui navigation, I truthfully don't Notice a difference. But maybe that's because I was so disappointed with my 6 plus last year and in just ecstatic I have a phone that meets (and in some cases exceeds) my expectations.

7. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

I've gotta say that after personally owning the 6s then the 6s Plus, larger display notwithstanding (I'll consider that as more of a "sidegrade") the 6s is the better experience. Overall smoother, with the Plus lagging noticeably in places the 6s doesn't and I miss the better color/contrast of the display over the higher pixel density. Admittedly these are small differences but they make for different experiences and although they're both fine phones, the 6s seems to be a more refined experience IMO.

8. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Upgraded from the 6+ to the 6S+ and I can not say the upgrade was a giant leap.

Both devices worked quite well for me.

9. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

I've not used a 6s, but have used my two daughter's 6's. To me, the 6s Plus is very smooth... no lags at all.

10. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

The lag is more or less minor with some odd UI lagginess that it seems odd Apple doesn't fix. (I.e. the 3D touch animations look much smoother on the 6s, whereas the animations are running at a noticeably lower frame-rate.)

11. gabo864 macrumors 6502a

gabo864

I have both the 6S and the 6s plus, I'm trying to decide which one to keep, but it's definitely a very hard decision for me.

I love how portable the iPhone 6s, because I can barely tell its in my pocket, my iPhone 6s Plus is kinda big in my pocket and when I'm wearing jeans I have to put it in my back pocket in order to feel confortable. I love my 6s plus when I'm at work because of the big screen and battery life is just amazing! But I still can't decide :(

12. hdthu macrumors member

The same to me. I sold 6 because I want a larger screen. But now I prefer portability. Tough decision.

13. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Same here. I have them both in my hand reading the same MR forum posts, comparing everything. Part of me hates that there are two sizes to choose from but on the other hand, I should just be an adult and choose one or the other. I absolutely prefer the portability of the 6s, but to me the display is so much better on the S Plus.

14. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

When my flip phone experience became unusable/unbearable this week, I knew I needed the 6s+.

Better screen/longer battery life. I have no issues with portability (having used an iPad Mini 4 for a month.)

Personal preference: I know I won't go back to a smaller phone.

15. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

A9, 2gb ram, 2nd gen touchID, and 12mp makes it a no brainer.

16. emilioestevez Suspended

emilioestevez

both phones op compares share those

17. spampy22 macrumors member

Had the 6s since launch day and gave that to my wife and bought a 6splus. Love the size and I find I'm not using my iPad anymore. Also the battery last so much longer on the 6splus. I'm typing with over 60% left and its 9:30pm on 14 hours of usage / standby

18. hdthu macrumors member

It's the time to sell your iPad Mini now

19. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Apple let me return it for a full refund almost a month beyond the return window. :)

20. hdthu macrumors member

Forgot it is Holiday Return Season

21. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

6S plus is lag free it's amazing coming from a lagfest of the S6 edge.

22. MICHAELSD thread starter macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Apple has finally fixed the UI performance on the 6s Plus with 9.2 - many animations used to drop frames but it's buttery smooth now. The display after extra testing is also noticeably superior in contrast and color temperature than the 6 Plus display to me so the 6s having very slightly better contrast doesn't matter, thus either device is an optimal choice now.

23. spampy22 macrumors member