6S vs 6S+ With Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by parseckadet, Sep 24, 2015.

1. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

I'm curious what everyone thinks about the whole 6S vs. 6S+ decision in light of the Apple Watch. Does having the the watch affect anyone's decision on which to get?

To me it actually might end up pushing me toward the 6S+. I say this because my biggest concern with such a large phone is that it would be a pain to dig it out of my pocket constantly, especially when wearing jeans. But that's less of an issue with the Apple Watch since it serves as a triage device for me. Has anyone else had thoughts along these lines?

And yeah, I haven't ordered my phone yet. I'm expecting some good news pretty soon and the phone will be my gift to myself when it comes.

2. TypeMRT macrumors 6502

The past few months of using the Watch is what helped me decide to go from the 6 to the 6S+. I think the native apps in watchOS 2 will move more productivity to the Watch and leave the 6S+ for more content consumption, which is almost always better on a bigger screen.
    Another benefit that I'm looking forward to is better battery life on the iPhone. My Watch usually has 45% battery at the end of the night so having a little less battery because in using it more shouldn't be a problem.

3. nrvna76 macrumors 6502

I feel the same way since getting the watch and will be going from 6 to 6S plus.. I do also feel like I have no basis for this and am trying to convince myself. But that's typical for me with new gadgets.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It can go either way. You don't interact with the iPhone as much so you can make the argument that bumping up the screen size is the way to go (as you won't be taking it out as often), or downsizing is ideal because you're not using it as much.

Keep in mind that some people find it uncomfortable keeping the Plus in the pocket while sitting down, so they end up taking it out anyway.

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

I am with the 6+. So I can confirm that with the watch will make your life easier if you wear jeans with the 6s+.

You can now check the caller on the wrist, reject it straight away by the watch. Or answer it, then talk on the watch and slowly get the phone out (or ask the other side to wait few seconds) rather than rush to get the phone out (which actually largely increase the chance that you may drop the phone because of rush to grab such a big phone).

Use the watch as the 6s+ extension. And enjoy the large screen + better battery life on the 6s+ is actually a good choice of combination.

6. parseckadet thread starter macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I'm still kinda torn. The + is so big. I saw a woman at the gym yesterday with a 6+ in an arm band, I'm sure so it would track movement (she didn't have headphones connected). The thing took up her entire upper arm, and she wasn't a walking stick either; she was pretty built. Still, that's where the watch comes in. I wouldn't need an arm band because the watch is the tracker.

7. papbot macrumors 6502

I have to say I think the 6+ is still too big, but as you have mused the use of the watch mitigates that a lot and has led me to reconsider as well but I still think I will go for the basic 6.

8. vin1717 macrumors newbie

I switched from a 6 to a 6+ 2 months ago and could never go back. Having the watch to perform simple tasks is a bonus, but in all honesty, in 2-3 days you don't even notice the size difference anymore. The benefits from 3 key areas make it totally worthwhile: 1) Battery life - I easily get 1.5 days out of it with moderate to heavy use. 2) Bigger screen - If you travel often watching movies on the bigger screen with higher resolution is miles above the 6. 3) Camera - This doesn't get talked about as often as it should, but the optical image stabilization on the 6+ makes a massive difference. It is almost impossible to take a blurry shot.

9. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

I love my 6+ - at first I was annoyed that Apple was going to do bigger screens (I was the one making fun of my droid friends with phablets). However as the last year's launch approached I realized a bigger screen would be nice because I'm getting older and my vision isn't what it once was....so I got the 6+ and I love it!! I couldn't go back to the smaller screen. I actually use my iPad mini much less...i.e. not at all unless I'm reading a book - then I do try to do that on the iPad. Having the watch I don't reach for my phone much at all. The 6+ has awesome battery life....I rarely keep it plugged in anymore and it's still at 90+ percent at the end of the work day b/c I've checked most notifications on my watch.

10. Oakmhcky21 macrumors member

Getting the apple watch led me to go from the 6 --> 6s+ and upgrade my mini 2--> Air 2.

I had already planned on moving up to the air 2, just better for the college books i use it for. Only thing downsized was my my 15" rMBP to the new rMB. rMBP stays hooked up to my 27" display now.

11. DavidLynch macrumors 6502a

I've had both. The 6+/6S+ doesn't seem that big at all after a couple weeks.

12. batristain macrumors 6502

batristain

Yes I've decided to trade in my mini for an Air 2. I wanted to see the Pro before I made my decision but in reality I have a MBP for my every day computer and an 11 MBA for travel so I can't really justify something as big as the Pro. I use my iPad for reading and playing game. I don't do a ton of videos on the iPad anymore - i watch them on my phone. If it's a movie we just use airplay to send to Apple TV.

13. supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

Similar to the others, the Apple Watch was one of the reasons I got a 6 plus last year and continued with the 6s plus this year. It allowed me to not have to unnecessarily take out my phone but when j really need it for something, I've got a nice big screen to work on. I've completely stopped using my iPad mini since going plus. Might get an iPad pro next year to complement my watch/iPhone plus.

As for the gym, I just use my Apple Watch like a Bluetooth iPod. No need to carry the plus around.