6TB Drive for Media Storage?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by mrt209, Aug 19, 2017.

1. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Any recommendations? Looking for a 6TB or 8TB drive for media storage (videos, music, etc) for my
    MacPro5,1 (2010). Already have the OWC mount to make them fit.

Have several WD Greens that I have never had problems with, but seems WD no longer officially sells those. From what I've gathered, Blue is the new Green.

So should I go with the Blue or maybe look into the Gold drives? Seems the Gold drive has some compatibility issues though: https://community.wd.com/t/wd-gold-6tb-problems-with-mac-pro-5-1/197718/

Money doesn't matter, work pays for the hdd.

Thanks

2. Mattww macrumors 6502

Mattww

If money is really no issue the HGST Helium drives (ultra star).

3. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

For just media storage. I think any HDD can do the job properly. Performance is not badly needed.

WD Red 6TB comes with standard mount point. So, if you only have one OWC sled, you don't have to "waste" it. I own WD Red 6TB and 8TB. The 6TB one is exactly for media storage and hosting (video source for a upnp media server). It work flawlessly for more than a year now.

8TB also work, but come with non standard mount points, so it require to use your OWC sled.

I don't know if other HDD is a better choice. But all I can tell is these 2 models work fine. And if you choose some other model, please do some research make sure there is no report about they doesn't work on cMP. For some unknown reason, some large size HDD cannot work properly in cMP. e.g. Not recognised at all.

4. mrt209 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does the RED work fine in Mac Pros? I used them in my NAS at home but never thought about using them in my Mac Pro.

5. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

Yes, work flawlessly.