6th Generation Airport Extreme?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by luvmax, Jan 7, 2012.

1. luvmax macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,

Any idea when the 6th generation Airport Extreme will be released? I'm thinking of buying one but would appreciate anyone's input who understands the products life cycle.

Thanks, -Luvmax

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Nobody knows. The AEBS is not on a normal product cycle.

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It could be next week or it could be in 2014. No one knows.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As mentioned, they have been inconsistent with life cycle, but the newest one just came out in June 2011 so I doubt a new one will appear real soon.

5. DaveTheRave macrumors 6502a

6. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Hopefully not anytime soon. I just got the 5th Generation one a few weeks ago. :p

7. luvmax thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the responses guys. I picked up a used 5th gen for $100 today.

8. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

I don't see Apple releasing another AirPort Extreme until after the release of IEEE 802.11ac. I see a 6th Generation AirPort Extreme being released in 2013.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

10. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

802.11ac? Ugh, just when I'd upgraded all of my devices to have support for 802.11n...!

11. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

You'll forever be one step behind the ball. :p

Future devices should continue to 802.11n.

12. Bioshox macrumors newbie

Bioshox

ac? jeeze, I've only just upgraded from my 5 year old G Belkin :')

13. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

802.11ac (brilliant naming scheme that one... They're all over the place now with the letters, I swear, they must be paying some guy to come up with the most confusing labels possible) isn't ratified as a standard yet.

I'm not even sure if it's on the draft level yet; remember, .11n was available as draft for I can't even remember how many years now, it was a bunch for sure. So don't go get all upset now over upgrading only just now; there's no hurry yet. There's not a single .11ac product available for sale, and there won't be for at least 6 months likely and by then they'll be expensive and probably not the most stable either.

It's rarely a good idea to jump onto a wireless standard in the first generation of products, as they most likely won't be feature-complete or able to maximize the potential of the new standard. It took quite a while before .11n wifi products started supporting triple-stream transmissions for example and I'm sure something similar will happen with .11ac too.

14. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Wasn't it named 'ac' because it provides air conditioning over the WiFi? :p

15. Fastball32 macrumors member

It looks like Apple may release an 802.11ac pretty soon.
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/01/23/apple-expected-to-adopt-802-11ac-5g-gigabit-wi-fi-this-year/

Apple has been known to release "draft" versions much sooner than other companies, they have done this with wi-fi and bluetooth as well.

I believe the perfect time to release the AC standard would be with an Apple TV, because who wants a TV that stutters due to wifi bandwidth? HDTV would require a lot of fast wireless transmission.

If an Apple TV will be released in Quarter 3 of this year, then expect new Time Capsules, Airport Extremes and Expresses by the end of the year.

I have a 4th generation Extreme Base Station and have been wanting to upgrade since the 5th generation came out last fall, but decided not to because a refresh should be coming within a year.

16. jayhawk11 macrumors 6502a

jayhawk11

Wow.

17. aznboi91 macrumors regular

So what now? no ac :(

18. bjm2660 macrumors 6502

I know the feeling.

Fortunately, routers age much better than phones/tablets/PCs. It's not like they can't "run the latest games" or "support the latest software."

I do think that the next AEBS and Time Machine will be a smaller form factor.

Too bad I have to stare at my ugly Motorola modem every night…Apple isn't likely to make a modem.

19. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

and things like this makes me happy I have CAT6 run to multiple spots all over the house.
    All of my desktops are wired and I don't do enough WiFi file transfers for it to matter, WiFi is just more of a convenience so I can sit on the couch and surf the net.

Also if I did want to upgrade the router, hopefully I could just get a 802.11ac internal card for the laptops.